collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Take it slow and easy if you want to get along with me - Jesse Fuller, Slow and Easy Blues

Author Topic: Players of Slide, Vestapol only, on recordings  (Read 5885 times)

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Re: Players of Slide, Vestapol only, on recordings
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
Hi all,
I was recently listening to Lesley Riddle's album on Rounder from the '80s (thanks, Stuart!), and he plays slide there exclusively in Vestapol, doing versions of "Frisco Moan", "Motherless Children" and "The Titanic".  He's an interesting musician and character.  Evidently, he accompanied A.P. Carter on a number of his song-hunting trips and introduced Maybelle Carter to some of the more bluesy picking she was to use on the Carter Family recordings, like "Cannonball Blues" and "I Know What It Means to Be Lonesome", which she admitted to having gotten from Riddle.  Of particular interest on that Rounder CD is a piece in E standard that sounds like it may have come from or led to Frank Hutchison's "Miner's Blues", a great eccentric E blues.  It would be interesting to know if Lesley Riddle and Frank Hutchison ever ran into each other. 
Maybelle Carter's slide playing on the early Carter Family recordings does not sound as though it derived from Lesley Riddle's slide playing, for hers is all played Hawaiian lap-style, and Riddle's is played in the conventionally fretted position
All best,
Johnm
I was always intrigued by the Lesley Riddle's Carter connection because I first came across him from this photo with Brownie McGhee:

here's a useful page about him:
http://toto.lib.unca.edu/sounds/piedmontblues/riddle.html

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Hi all,
I believe Roosevelt Holts may fall into this category.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »
Hi all,
It looks like on the basis of what I've heard so far that Bishop Perry Tills falls into this category.
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal