collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hundreds of 'race' singers have flooded the market with what is generally regarded as the worst contribution to the cause of good music ever inflicted on the public. The lyrics of a great many of these 'blues' are worse than the lowest sort of doggerel - Talking Machine Journal, February 1924, plucked from Stephen Calt's Barrelhouse Words

Author Topic: Brooklyn Folk Festival  (Read 976 times)

Offline LucyStag

• Howdy!
Brooklyn Folk Festival
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
Besides Frank Fairfield, these are unfamiliar names, but it kind of sounds intriguing. Maybe a good excuse to bus up to NYC and see my sister.

http://www.brooklynfolkfest.com/lineup/

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: Brooklyn Folk Festival
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
I don't know a lot but Jeron, Suzy, and Frank should be familiar to most Weenies, Bruce Molsky's been around for 'a wee bit' and Michael Hurley John Cohen? forever.... 
I ain't going to go 3,000 miles to be there myself, but a shortish buss ride? Go see your sister!

Cheers,
Gary
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
  Definitely a good looking lineup.  I'd be there if I could, but I'm also gonna pass on the 3000 mile trip.  The Ozark Highballers are a new band with some buddies of mine from Arkansas and Clarke Buehling on the banjo.  Should be fun!

Offline LucyStag

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »
It ain't exactly short (though I've bussed the whole country and back, so anything is short compared to that), but it's about eight hours. And it seems like a fun excuse to visit New York friends and family and all.

My only problem is a lack of someone committed enough to come with me!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
8 hours ain't much! :)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:38:14 PM »
I'll definitely be going to see Hurley and very interested in meeting Art Rosenbaum, who, like me is a painter.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
Looks like the festival keeps growing.

I notice the Ozark Highballers have Seth Shumate on harmonica, at least on youtube vids. I only know his playing from youtube but he's really great at old harmonica styles.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Just googled the Ozark Highballers to see Roy Pilgrim on fiddle. Met him at Harry Smith Frolic a few years back and he was a lot of fun to play with. I've seen Frank Fairfield a couple times and he always puts on a good show. I talked to him in the break in his set about Narmour and Smith and he ended up playing a great medley of their tunes in the second half. Made my night.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal