collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Your hair is so short, swear to God I can smell your brains - Kid Stormy Weather (Edmund Joseph), Short Hair Blues

Author Topic: '30's Dobro roundneck resos  (Read 891 times)

Offline bigignatz

• Hiiidy-Hi!
'30's Dobro roundneck resos
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
I've been trying to sell a '30s roundneck spider cone reso made by Dobro and sold under the Magnotone (or Magno-tone) label for some time now (it's posted at the garage sale)...and while I think it's a great guitar there's been absolutely zero interest. There are some players who like these, the guy from the Carolina Chocolate Drops for instance...so I'm just wondering if there's something about these that makes them undesirable. This one sounds great, maybe some of  them don't....any feedback appreciated. If I wasn't broke right now I wouldn't be selling...but it's just one of those times.

Joe

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: '30's Dobro roundneck resos
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
I think it's the fact that there are many extant photos of blues players holding/playing Nationals, and few or none who play Dobros.  And the folks who want Dobros, want the square neck 'bluegrass' Dobro.  And, those who want Dobros, want the Dobro decal on the headstock.  And, in the past decade or so, National Resophonic has retooled the old National equipment and produces new-made resonators at half to a third the cost of old ones, and they set-up and play like a modern instrument, but retain the sound, for the most part, of the old ones.  ...and so it goes... We have a really hard time selling any resonators, unless they're really priced low.
Your looks really sweet, is the action good?  Tom

Offline bigignatz

• Hiiidy-Hi!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »
Hi - it retains the original setup (along with the pencil marked fretboard numbers!) which was on the high side so that it was easier to play with a nut riser lapstyle. The guitar was clearly put in a closet for 70 years or so without string tension as the neck is straight. I took it to a local and very well known luthier (Bill Richards) and by his estimation it wouldn't take much to bring the action down, particularly because there's plenty of room in the well and the neck is in great shape. I have one last National single cone and understand what you're saying...I just have strange tastes I suppose as I've always found a place for the sound of a spider cone in my playing as well as that from the single biscuit cone resos.

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
I use spider-bridge Dobro's a lot on stage and in the studio. Great tone for ol'timey blues.
Looks like it's in great shape too..   :)
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal