collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Use your instrument to play the blues. Don't use the blues to play your instrument - James Harman

Author Topic: R.I.P. Chris Strachwitz  (Read 387 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
R.I.P. Chris Strachwitz
« on: May 06, 2023, 12:59:49 AM »
Mary Katherine Aldin reported on Facebook this evening that Arhoolie Records founder Chris Strachwitz died today in hospice care at age 91.

Very sorry to hear about this although it seems like his musical legacy is in safe hands, from what I've read in the past few months.
Chris

Offline eric

Re: R.I.P. Chris Strachwitz
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 07:15:51 AM »
Chris did so much for vernacular music. He was a fixture at music events and Down Home Music when I was in the Bay Area, always friendly and ready to talk music. RIP Chris
--
Eric

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »
He was a tremendous, influential, asset to the trad music community. RIP.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 07:22:04 PM »
Deepest admiration for Mr. Strachwitz for what he accomplished. So interesting to note once again that it's an "outsider" -- someone born overseas -- who comes to the US and shows us what special music and culture we have.

I was surprised to find out that the full version of this film is available on youtube, maybe not for long, if you haven't watched it, it's a well-spent 90 minutes.

Lindy

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 06:39:00 PM »
He saw and heard what many didn't and through his efforts brought awareness of the music to many who would have remained unaware that it existed and of its high value. I watched the film soon after it was released and highly recommend it. Thanks, Lindy for posting the link.

R.I.P. Chris. You made a difference and will be missed.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 03:28:32 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal