collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Everywhere I go, people know who I am, but I don't know who they are - Bluesman Jack Owens at Port Townsend

Author Topic: All Around Man - The High Steppin' Muskrats  (Read 717 times)

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
All Around Man - The High Steppin' Muskrats
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:57 AM »
Hi all, been quite a while since I put up a video here so I thought I should put up a clip of a gig we did yesterday. I have a new electric blues band called the Bluland Healers and before I brought the whole band out Peter Healy and myself did a country blues acoustic set and we did this Bo Carter tune ( but I took out the notorious "Milkman" verse just so my girlfriend wouldn't slap me).
                           Nothing like a bit of Hokum to liven things up, incidentally the day was a great success as we unveiled our new blues/rock/funk original DYNAMITE which is now up on youtube.

I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline jtbrown

Re: All Around Man - The High Steppin' Muskrats
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Well done!  You both sound very good, though I do wish the guitar were a little louder and the harmonica a little quieter.  (And good call on that "milkman" verse -- talk about a single entendre!)

Todd Brown
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:26:34 AM by jtbrown »

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:49:08 AM »
Well done!  You both sound very good, though I do wish the guitar were a little louder and the harmonica a little quieter.  (And good call on that "milkman" verse -- talk about a single entendre!)

Todd Brown
I agree with that, I should have used my Gretsch Dobro for those two songs but I couldn't use it on Big Road Blues which we did just before those two songs as that was in Dropped D tuning and I tend to pop the Bass D string out of the bridge on the Gretcsh when doing BRB so I use a standard acoustic on that and I was too lazy to change guitars. It was live at a pub and done before my electric full band came on.
              I really appreciate getting a comment from you, thanks very much.

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:02:45 AM »
Yeah I used to sing the MILKMAN verse in front of audiences but that was before I met Corina (yeah, how about that for a name of a bluesman's girlfriend, CORINA CORINA ) but I am not complaining, she is a wonderful lady, I have since come up with a few verses of my own making and to be frank I can't believe I actually got away with them. I changed a word or two from the original there like councilman instead of what I think Carter sang.... ie Alderman because I am singing for Aussies and the original reference does not make a lot of sense to an Aussie.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:17:27 AM by ArthurBlake »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
Good stuff! And a lovely idea to be your own semi-acoustic support band!

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
Good stuff! And a lovely idea to be your own semi-acoustic support band!
Thank you, I would rather it be totally acoustic but that would need a 4 thousand dollar microphone (Australian $$$$) or thereabouts to get a decent live sound so it was plugged in. We did another gig today backing ourselves this way, incidentally the band sounded good and I am chuffed and the duo went well too, we are looking for a washboard/percussionist for the Muskrats so if anyone knows a decent one in the Sydney/Newcastle Metropolitan area let me know.
                            Thanks for the kind words mate.

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »
For anyone interested in seeing my videos here is my youtube channel, it has acoustic blues, solo or with Muskrats and my band, Bluland Healers and a few videos from The Bald Faced Stag House Band with me in it as well as some straight out jam sessions from various venues. There are 32 videos and counting on it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1oJ3f-KuomY9NXoOZc1tg/feed

I am very busy atm doing the Bluland Healers stuff but I really do want to do a lot more of the stuff we weenie guys are fond of, i.e. real blues fingerpicking. There will be some in the future.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal