collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Blues" music was created to chase away gloom... The Happy-go-lucky songs of the Southern Negro we call "Blues" - W. C. Handy, 1919. "The Father of the Blues" points out that you've got to be happy if you want to sing the Blues. Quoted by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff in "They Cert'ly Sound Good To Me: Sheet Music, Southern Vaudeville, And The Commercial Ascendancy Of The Blues" in Ramblin' On My Mind, David Evans, ed

Author Topic: Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters  (Read 4209 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »
Amazingly remastered by Andrew Rose.

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Vocal/PABL001.php

The quality leaves me speechless!

Cooljack

Re: Ramblin' On My Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:02:45 AM »
yeah a friend of mine (robick on BBF) showed this to me and im really impressed, I'd really love to see some on some of the other musicians too, Bo Carter would be my number one preference:) . I reckon I will probably buy this CD as long as it is reasonably priced it looks like a sound investment.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:52:31 AM »
Mr. Rose also put together a 5 minute sampler consisting of the first 10 tracks of the remastered CD.

http://www.pristinestorage.com/force_download.php?file=samples/PABL001sampler.mp3

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:04:40 AM »
Could this really be a breakthrough?  Initial listening (only on computer speakers) would indicate it might be.  Past efforts at improving old recordings have largely been great big failures.  I remember somebody commenting that the Robert Johnson CD offered sounds you could not hear on the vinyl release, which was clearly rubbish.  That person obviously had a poor record playing system. 

Great claims were made for the CEDAR process, which to my ears compressed the sound, took off the top end and stripped the heart out of the music.

I can't be bothered with downloads, so maybe I'll have to order the CD, which does appear to be very reasonably priced.

I've been listening to Johnson for (cough, cough) years, and still hear new things in his playing now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:10:01 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »
It sounds nice. Although, I must say I've never heard any reissue of any quality that could compete with hearing the original record. (even when played on poor equipment) There is something amazing about hearing old time music jump off the speaker from a 78.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:13:27 AM »
It sounds nice. Although, I must say I've never heard any reissue of any quality that could compete with hearing the original record. (even when played on poor equipment) There is something amazing about hearing old time music jump off the speaker from a 78.

I agree!  I'll never forget hearing a friend's Bukka White 78 - it felt like being in the room with him.

Thinking about it scientifically, the more you mess with the original, the further away you get from the sounds actually recorded.  If you add things, it is no longer original.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
How many of the masters actually exist for the R Johnson material?
"I'll never forget hearing a friend's Bukka White 78 - it felt like being in the room with him."  Yes! Thats it.

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
This has been discussed elsewhere but I didn't see any discussions here...

This guy Andrew Rose has used something called "XR" mastering on Robert Johnson recordings. My normal knee-jerk reaction towards these kind of things is "I don't like it" but in this case -- based on the one sample track on the site -- I think the benefits may outweigh the possible negatives. At least through my PC speakers, I think it sounds pretty good, and I'm hearing things I hadn't noticed before. On the other hand, the vocals and upper frequencies sound a bit compressed, and there is a slightly "artificial" aspect to the sound but I'm not sure if that's just because the EQ sounds more modern than what I'm used to hearing.

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Vocal/PABL001.php

Anyone here have any thoughts based on the sample track? Have any of you heard the whole disc?

Best wishes,

John
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:39:25 AM »
Hi John.

Hmm? Maybe there's a lesson here for folks wondering what to title a topic?

I merged your topic with this one and renamed it by the far more inforative title you chose. Thanks.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »
 :)

Got around to listening to the samples. No doubt in my mind these blow everything else out of the water, unless you're a surface-noise purist to the point of masochism. You can hear so much more in Johnson's voice. Conversely, I'm less impressed by his guitar playing than before, now I can hear the stumbles he makes. But what a great expressive voice he has.

Offline slidnslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
 I think it sounds pretty amazing,and I can think of a whole
 whack of others that should be tried to clean up,
 remasters of alot of other Country Blues!

Kenny,

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »
Lemon would be first in my book followed by all the other Paramount artists. Y'all with three, four or more copies of Patton's complete works may soon be shelling out for yet another one. Glad I stopped at two.

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »
I merged your topic with this one

Oops! Thanks John & co.
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 06:07:43 PM »
Hi John.

Hmm? Maybe there's a lesson here for folks wondering what to title a topic?

I merged your topic with this one and renamed it by the far more inforative title you chose. Thanks.

All for now.
John C.

Okay. Geeze, I made a mistake.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
It was just a gentle nudge, Hoy Hoy Boy. I'm just making a point so others get the idea, too. None of us are too old to learn, eh?? I didn't call it a mistake, just noticed that there might be a better way. Sorry.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 02:40:51 PM »
There's now a second edition. I must confess that I was quite dubious at first. But the fact remains, that I've never heard RJ's guitar playing on From 4 until late so well before.

Hear for yourself: http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Vocal/PABL002.php

Pan

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
Well hearing the samples a download it seemed like a good idea at the time, but frankly I am now bit lost....has anybody actually downloaded any of this?

Do I want mp3's  or FLAC... is one format superior.... will any old cd player be able to play the resultant cd and so will I end up with a "regular" cd with wav files... the links to the reccommended conversion programs appear to be dead... is the download priced by cd or time...... or is my confusion due to that extra glass of grape juice I just had  :-X
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:25:52 AM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »
I downloaded the flac format files. You have to find instructions on converting for Mac, if that's what you're using--basically, you drag the files to an icon for a piece of free software called Set OggS that you have to download, the conversion takes place, and you can then drag the files into iTunes. Once there you convert to Apple Lossless format, and you've got at least a relatively uncompressed file. Sounds great. I wish I could send you the instructions, which I have in .pdf, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a file.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Hi Kokomo O. You can attach a pdf to your post here by clicking on the "Additional Options" option just below and to the left of the posting window. This will open up a bunch of options, one of which will be "Attach". Click the "Browse" button in that line and browse for your file to attach it. Pdf is listed in the allowed file types for attachments here, so it should work, although Slack would be the final word on that.

Richard, I'm sure the grape juice is part of it...  :P  My limited understanding is that flac is better, but I haven't experimented with the format.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:30:53 PM by andrew »

Offline sands4us

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
OK ....I bit. Sounds pretty good although to be honest....can anyone really say that the remastered versions sound authentic?

There is just so little information from original recordings and I don't think anyone is alive who can say that the remastered sounds more or less authentic or true to the original sound.

I have always had trouble listening to the originals. I think these will get a lot more play when in the car, which is where I listen to a lot of music.

I bought the FLAC version and had no problems burning to CD, but then I used my Laptop running Ubuntu Linux. Linux Supports FLAC basically out of the box...so to speak.

Stephen

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »
Grape juice aside, I think FLAC is the answer!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
I tried to attach the .pdf, but it wouldn't post. Anyway, here's the url for the instructions.

http://earpick.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/how-to-play-flac-in-itunes-on-mac

Tags: Remastered 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal