collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I wish to be cremated. One tenth of my ashes shall be given to my agent, as written in our contract - Groucho Marx

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 58232 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
Leonard:

I've never had a chance to play a Martin J-40. What are they like in terms of sound, feel etc.

Thanks,
Alex

Jukeboy

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2007, 05:54:09 AM »
I love this guitar weenie stuff.  I split time between a Franklin Jumbo Brazilian and a Black Pearl OM walnut.  HI GUYS!!

mikeh

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2007, 07:12:49 AM »
Hia,
Mine is a Crafter TA-050, which I love, and was cheap, bought from new.
Then I saw Taj Mahal on the cover on Acoustic Guitar(?) magazine with one.

Looks like I made a good choice. Although it chose me..

Mike

dowling

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
hi some great guitars on here the stuff of dreams,i thought id post a picture of my main guitar a one of a kind by Russell rose of avendel guitars in wales Madagascan rosewood back sides euro spruce top ,iv got photos of it from start to finish so ill try and post a few to let you see,has anyone else got pictures of there guitars being made id love to see them cause im kind of a guitar nerd like that ,i hope you like the picture people cheers Paul.
C*KID
i hope i get this right its my second try and i havent got a clue how to get these photos out:)

[attachment deleted by admin]

dowling

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »
hi folks i still didn't post one of the finished product iv tried 4 times and i cannot figure it out sorry folks i will try again after iv had a good cup of tea to carm myself down >:(
cheers
Paul.C*KID.

rpg51

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2007, 05:35:48 AM »
Two, first an 06 Greven L-00v and second a circa 1925 Gagliano Grand Concert. Lots of fun for sure. 

DougD54

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2007, 06:06:37 AM »
I play a koa / sitka spruce 14 fret with a dangerously slender neck that I carved to accomodate my slightly smaller than average hands. This is going to sound weird, but the body is ergonomically designed to be easier to play - it's maybe an inch narrowere on the top of both bouts than on the bottom, so it's more comfortable to play. I also have a late '50s Gibson J-50 and an a 1953 Kay f-hole set up for slide, and a couple of others under construction.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
My current main guitars are a 1947 Martin 000-18, a Greven L00v, a Santa Cruz 'Rising Fawn'(which is a 12 fret 000 with dread depth) and a Kopp K-35. The Martin, Santa Cruz and Kopp are the guitars in my photo here. I have just made a deal for a beautiful 1936 Gibson L00, a totally crack free and very clean example. I will have the Gibson in approximately 3 weeks. I also have a Merrill OM-18 custom on order as well as a Greven 00-45 adi/brazilian coming. I am a happy guy these days!!

RJ

I also have a 1960 Fender telecaster, a black 1957 Danelectro U2 and I play them through a 1959 'tweed Fender Vibrolux...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:24:20 AM by rjtwangs »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
What a guitar nut!  ;D

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »

My J-200 substitute. 1948? heavily modified Gretsch Rancher. formerly owned by Utah Phillips
1963 Martin D-18 with six cool 1940's chessecake decals on the face
1946-47 Gibson LG-0 or LG-1 with two knob holes cut out for a previous owners electrification attempt. this guitar sounds so freakin' great I'm thinking about putting more holes in my other guitars.Lots of cracks everywhere too! I'm perplexed by some folks wanting to avoid cracks if they're properly healed.
1957-58 Gibson L-50 with the neck divine!

Wish list
50s-J-185
40's- J-200
early martin parlor and
Big Bill type 000-28, Herringbone on the side, hold the cream sauce.
Blind Willie McTell's Stella Twelve with the unorthadox pickguard.
The triolion that once belonged to singing cowboy Gary Cooper that I missed out on for $400. in 69-70
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »
Mr. OM, it ain't the holes that make that '40s LG-0 or -1 sound so great. It's the ladder bracing.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 04:51:15 AM »
Holes! I've played a lot o these babies, No other one even comes close. So its either the holes or the fact that it hung in an unheated barn in Maine for forty years, but if i was you i'd get that 3/4 inch bit out!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:20:06 PM by Mr.OMuck »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
I think we should try this on Wax's 12-string Stella. Open it up a little. Wax, you can send it to me, I'll hang it in my shed for the winter then bring it to PT in the summer, where we can polish off a case of Anchor Steam and break out the drill. ;)

I think O'Muck's right, many of the best guitars I've tried have been beaten to all hell, cracked, repaired. Maybe look nice now but they've gone through some abuse.

I don't own anything worthy of such alterations myself.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2008, 07:19:29 PM »
Mr. O'Muck when I look at that wonderful looking guitar of yours, I'm reminded of the great song 'Stories It Could Tell', I'll bet that Gibson of yours could tell some amazing stories. Just to have survived, and then being lucky enough to have found it's way to you. Very very cool!!!

Rick

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »
Don't know the song I'm afraid, but I get the idea (who's song is it?). The woman who sold it to me for twenty five bucks was apologetic saying that even though it was beat up it was still a good beach guitar! WAHHOOO!
Should I feel guilty? I booked outa there in a hurry feeling like I'd just pulled the heist of the century. I think it just would have remained hanging unplayed on the barn wall serving as a mouse nest and rotting away. I've given it a nice warm case and three meals a day. Ethical gray zone methinks.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal