collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ah whiskey oh whiskey, why do you treat me so? If I ever get sober one more time, ain't gonna get drunk no more - Josh White, Pigmeat and Whiskey Blues

Author Topic: A Church Full O' Singers  (Read 765 times)

Offline bnemerov

A Church Full O' Singers
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
Hi Weenies,
I was over in Jackson, Tennessee for a weekend of gigs with my friend Jeff Long and we spent Sunday morning at his church where they have a "house band"--guitars, string bass, dobro and mandolin. Nice change from the more common piano, organ, drums and Fender bass.

Jeff and I were asked to provide "special music" for the service and I thought it a good idea to get this musical congregation to sing...and they did.
Hope you folks like it.
best,
bruce

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: A Church Full O' Singers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
Wow, how pretty. Nothing like the church women's chorus chiming in like that! Couldn't have been better if you'd rehearsed it with them. The guitar playing is nice an relaxed..felt as authentic as could be. Good work!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »
fabulous - thanks for posting!  Looks like there are a few other videos from the same performance from the same poster on youtube... more to watch later!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Bruce.  Both the people we can see and those we can't sound great.  Really nice singing and playing.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
That was beautiful, thanks for posting.

What a feeling it must to have a whole congregation singing along with you! Good for you!
I was by coincidence just listening to the same song by the Elders McIntorsh and Edwards, and they too accompany themselves with guitars, so you are in good company!  Forget it about electric organs and Fender basses! 8)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:52:18 AM »
Very enjoyable indeed!

Interestingly I found myself playing the same piece yesterday evening. My mandolin-playing musical partner and I were invited to join two other mates (on bass and guitar) who accompany a choir. We did some of our material and they did some of theirs and it was a great experience. The 20-odd strong choir are all amateurs but have a brilliant leader/teacher and produce an incredible sound.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
Is that the guitar I played at the ARP gig?

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »
Hello Prof. S,
Hope you and the family are well and staying warm....a very mild winter here in Tennessee; not to rub it in or anything 8)

The guitar is the younger brother of the Hensel you played here. A new Chinese-made Recording King--long scale 12-fret.
This was the 1st time I'd taken it out to use in public, and for such an inexpensive piece, it did very well. It would be suitable for airline travel, being replaceable unlike most of my other antiques (myself included).

And to all who've said kind words: Thank you for the appreciation of a group of regular ol' folks who love to sing and like the old music. This particular church is really quite unusual...could make one re-evaluate thoughts about organized religion.

best,
bruce

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:04 AM »
Just checked out the other videos from this performance on youtube . Highly recommended!

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
Just lovely, makes me want to play i church too.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
I've played guitar twice in a church; once in a wedding, and once in a funeral (neither was my own  :P). The acoustics can be quite something!

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
just loving this one right now:

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
The nuanced guitar playing is beautiful here: