collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We started out from our parents - it's just a gift that we had in the family. Our mother and father they could both play. And see he was an old musicianer in slavery time. He played for the white folks at square dances and so it was handed down to us - Sam Chatmon

Author Topic: Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas Lyrics  (Read 20587 times)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
Re: Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas Lyrics
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
Thank you, Tim. It has actually been discussed extensively here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10134.0

Offline raudiobrown

• Howdy!
Re: Geeshie Wiley "Last Kind Word" Lyrics
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
I've always loved this song, and appreciate the informative posts I found here as to tuning, chords, and lyrics.

I'd like to offer my two cents on some of the harder-to-hear syllables and phrases:

Rather than "I p'fer just leave me out, let the buzzards eat me whole"
I believe it's "I cry just leave me out..."

For the fourth verse, second line, I hear:
"If I don't bring you flour, I'll bring you both a meal"
(if I don't bring you a little, I'll bring you a lot)

Instead of, "I went to the depot, I looked up at the sign,"
I hear, "...I looked up at the stars".
Doesn't rhyme well, but that's how I hear it.

The biggest change I would make in the lyrics posted here previously would be to verse six:

My momma told me, just before she died
Lord, (since the dawn, I thought you'd be so wise) (I brought you a piece of)
I believe that second line is:
Lord, sissy daughter, don't you be so wise
or maybe:
...don't you be so white.

Thanks again to all.

Rod

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas Lyrics
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 03:29:20 AM »
Hi Rod, welcome to weenie campbell. Click on the tag 'Geeshie Wiley' to find several more work sessions on this song. The most exhaustive, not to mention creative and hilarious, was this one: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=377.msg2490#msg2490

The 'bolted meal' line is discussed in depth, with examples of the same line from other songs. Hard to dispute, given the provenance of other songs, IMO

Re. buzzard bait, most, including me, agree with your 'I cry just leave me out...'

Elsewhere, 'Lord, Sister daughter, don't you be so wild' is how most, though not all, heard it.

'... looked up at the sun/sign/stars', take your pick! I sing 'sign' myself. My reasoning is there are numerous songs of the Depot Blues family where the protagonist '...looked up at the board' while waiting for a train. 'Sign' and 'board' are almost synonymous. But she could have been looking up at the sun before contemplating the long walk she might have to make if some train don't come. 'Stars' I can't really find a context.

Re. 'don't you be so white', I'd say you're having a 'beaujolais moment' (see the thread I linked to)  :P

It's endless.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:55:07 AM by Rivers »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal