collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Brownie McGhee ... says that after the gig all the important folk people came over and told him that he had to move to New York because "they didn't have any blues singers up there; that Josh White was the only one, and he'd gone white." McGhee laughingly adds that when he got to New York and met Josh, "when i saw how much money he was making, I said, 'Hey, show me how to go white too!''" - from Society Blues, Elijah Wale

Author Topic: slide in open tunings on a short scale guitar  (Read 2013 times)

Offline cakewalk

• Howdy!
slide in open tunings on a short scale guitar
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
I have recently discovered how cool short scale guitars cane be. The bendability of the strings allows me to pretend I am Albert King. I am in search of an acoustic to play slide on. I wanted to hear what people think about playing slide in open D or open G on a short scale instrument.

I have heard some say the strings are too slack, I have heard others say not so. Still others compromise and say use mediums and there won't be a problem.
What do you all think?

cakewalk

Offline LB

• Ga
Re: slide in open tunings on a short scale guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
Not a problem but it also depends on what you consider short, a 24.25" scale will feel almost unplayable with light strings with open G or D tuning. It would feel even slacky with standard tuning. In that case going to mediums is a logical option and they play nice.

Then again if you mean the difference in 24.9" scale to something like 25.4" there wouldn't be a lot of difference. I do think more slack strings will warm up the sound slightly in some cases. It may also kill your projection. I'd probably just take each guitar on a case by case basis being careful about how much tension I put on it.

Another sidetrack idea is the fact slack feeling guitars make wonderful candidates for tuning a couple of strings tighter and getting open E or open A. Which sounds great, slides great and might make you much more commonly compatable when jamming along with others.

Offline Dakota Red

Re: slide in open tunings on a short scale guitar
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
I slide in open A [a tad more tension] on my ~23"-scale '54 5-18.  I slide in open D,E, G,A on 24.9" scale vtg 00 & 000 Martins, 25.4" OM & D models too.  Scale not an issue to me if one attends to string guage, setup, etc.  When playing "normal" I tune that 5-18 to "standard", not "terz"[mi 3rd up], but again it's strings & setup imho. 

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal