collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Every minute I could I banged away, hunting chords on the old upright," Carmichael recalled; "there are no sounds more irritating than unfound music" - Hoagy Carmichael, early days in Bloomington, Indiana

Author Topic: Rev. Leon Pinson  (Read 2428 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Rev. Leon Pinson
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »
While browsing on emusic to make my monthly download selection, I came across a number of items on Fat Possum from the George Mitchell Collection. One that immediately turned me on was a selection by Leon Pinson which includes some great gospel slide and also some fabulous singing in a much more modern style. I you haven't heard this I suggest you do!

Also just downloaded  some post-war Buddy Moss. There is also a couple of cd's worth of material by other, more obscure country artists well worth following up. I will report later after I download.

Phil

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
Re: Rev. Leon Pinson
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 04:35:13 PM »
I'm glad you posted this as I was curious about these records. I was particularly interested in how the Buddy Moss sides stack up. I have "Atlanta Blues Legend" which collects some very good live 60's sides. For whatever reason it seems his rediscovery phase never really took off. Of course his early sides are very strong. As usual Stefan has a superb Moss page: http://www.wirz.de/music/mossfrm.htm

There's also a record by Cecil Barfield who I've never heard of. If you have this one please give us the scoop.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:19:53 AM »
Jeff,

The Buddy Moss sides are good, not his best. The main problem is that some are quite short. That's why I downloaded them rather than bought a cd.

As to the other artists, I'll give some signposts over the next couple of days once I've got my notes together.

Phil

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:13:08 AM »
Yes, Phil, please do report back. I'd be interested to hear what you picked up.

I have the Buddy Moss Atlanta Blues Legend CD as well and enjoy it quite a bit. What is the other postwar Moss you got?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:20:42 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:06:51 PM »
There was a lengthy, interesting interview with Pinson conducted by Al Young in Blues & Rhythm 86 (Feb 1994). I'll unearth the issue and see if I can select something pertinent to pass on here.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
Just a few notes on the Fat Possum George Mitchell collection.

Cecil Barfield. There is a 22 track cd. His voice is quite strained but also bearable and his guitar playing is beautiful and sparse. He covers a lot of standards, but not as we know them Jim! I'm ordering it.

The best in my opinion is the "Lower Chatahoochie Valley" collection. This has everything from field hollers, solo harp (William Grant), vocal+ percussion only (Ray Favors) and some great guitar/vocal pieces (V/artists) It also includes a version of Jerry Lee's "Whole Lotta Shakin" by Jimmy Lee Harris that defies my description. I've already purchased this one.

I'll come back with some more shortly.

Tags: Cecil Barfield 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal