collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She had brains, but she was a little late everywhere else, if you know what I mean - Bukka White, about a U. of Chicago college student he had met. conversation at a party, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 7/24/1975

Author Topic: Most Wanted  (Read 3395 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!
Most Wanted
« on: October 15, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »
Now that we've all had a chance to hear the recently recovered Son House 78, what 'lost' pre-war blues 78s are on the most wanted list. I know that the unheard Willie Brown is a holy grail, are there others?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Most Wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:14:23 AM »
Some of the possible Lemon titles (I'd have to check and don't have time right now to see what articles by Paul Swinton and by David Evans say about these). ?Elder Green?s In Town?, ?English Stop Time?, ?I Labor So Far From Home?, ?Laboring Man Blues?, ?Light House Blues?, ?Too Black Bad?, ?It?s Tight Like That?, ?Pineapple Blues?.

Holy grail indeed.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:00:12 AM »
Are these Lemon sides known to have been released? Or are we hoping to find masters? I know at least two of the four Willie Brown sides yet to be found were released as there were ads for them in the Chicago Defender. Since masters for the other two sides were not found in the river at Grafton recently I think they are a lost cause, but the two that were released are a possibility, at least.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 09:24:24 PM »
Not known to have been released, though a good chance they were recorded. Here's a paragraph from an article by David Evans and Luigi Monge from the Journal of Texas Music History, an article Bunker Hill first pointed out to me, and which is now available online at http://ecommons.txstate.edu/jtmh/vol3/iss2/3/ in pdf form. The article includes lyric transcriptions and analysis of all these "new" songs, so is must reading for Lemon fans:

"The new material, most of which we present here for the first
time, comes from typed and hand written copyright deposits of
the Chicago Music Publishing Company at the Library of
Congress in Washington, D.C., and includes the following songs:
?Laboring Man Blues,? ?Elder Green?s in Town,? ?English Stop
Time,? ?I Labor So Far from Home,? ?Light House Blues,?
?Money Tree Mama Blues,? and ?Pineapple Blues.? Besides
these, we will also discuss three alternate versions of already
known songs, which in two cases bear completely different titles
from Jefferson?s previously issued recordings. We became aware
of the existence of these copyright deposits through a number
of different published sources, as well as our own research in the
Library of Congress. Although the songs under discussion here most likely were
recorded by Jefferson at some point, any such recordings appear to
have been lost or destroyed."

[Edit, Rivers: updated the link to TX State's site, was getting a 404 error]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:06:40 AM by Rivers »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:08:36 AM »
Paramount 13001, Grandma Blues/Sorry Blues by Willie Brown is shown on an October 1930 Paramount list of records avilable to distributors.  I believe this list was found in the Paramount advertising material that was rescued from the garbage by a couple of reporters and sold to John Tefteller a few years ago.  That and PM 13099 Kicking In My Sleep Blues/Window Blues, also by Willie Brown, would have to be the "holy grails" of records that were actually issued.

Of records that were recorded and not issued but that may someday turn up on test pressings or metal masters, the 12 unissued Ishmon Bracey titles from his 1929 Paramount session and the titles claimed to have recorded in 1932 (possibly 1935?) would be near the top of my list, along with the Blind Lemon Jefferson titles mentioned above, the unissued titles from charley Patton's 1934 session, and (for me, but probably not for the blues world at large) the unissued titles from Buddy Moss's 1941 session.     

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:13:03 AM »
Wow, killer article Bud, thanks for the link  . . .

Yes, not quite sure I agree with all the analysis, but fascinating reading nonetheless.

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »
For years now, Richard ?Rabbit? Brown?s recording titled Great Northern Blues (38001-2) on the Victor label has been my holy grail in the realm of un-issued 78?s.  I can?t think of a side that I would like to hear more! Well, maybe Gyp the Blood or Downfall of the Lion but alas Rabbit never recorded them!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:50:21 AM by Deluge »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
Hi all,
I can't decide what I would most like to hear of what was recorded that has not been found, but I believe there are still some undiscovered Jaydee Short and Clifford Gibson titles that I would certainly like to hear.
All best,
Johnm

Offline 78erhortig

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
charley taylor: PLK railroad
cooney vaughn: three titels
blaqck boy shine: a whole session
pinetop smith: one title

and so on....

regards
mike

Offline misterjones

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
Anything by Bind Lemon Jefferson tops my list.  Otherwise, Blind Texas Marlin.

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Unissued titles by Rube Lacey, one unissued victor side from Blind Joe Reynolds, anything by Jaydee Short, Booker Whites unissued 1930 Victor titles, All Charlie Pattons unissued sides, BLIND TEXAS MARLIN, demos recorded by HC Speir AHHHHHHHHH I burst a blood vessle, caffeine makes my 78 obsession come out
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline oddenda

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
Don't forget the two unissued Willie Walker sides from 1930! I had FINALLY persuaded Baby Tate to record them for me, but he died before the session could take place. He did play "South Carolina Rag" with Larry Johnson seconding at a concert in Ulster County in NY in '72.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal