collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life - Ludwig van Beethoven

Author Topic: The Guitar Stylists--G Position, standard tuning  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: The Guitar Stylists--G Position, standard tuning
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 06:30:31 AM »
Hi rein,
It's a little difficult to accord someone status as a stylist in a playing position that none of us have every heard that person play in, nor ever will. I suppose we could take David Evans' word for it, but it's possible our own assessments would differ from his if we were ever to hear Rube Lacy play anything in G position in standard tuning. Even if Charlie McCoy played licks also played by Lacy, there's no proof that McCoy learned those licks from Lacy--there could have been a completely different unknown source, or McCoy could have arrived at the same ideas on his own. I don't think Lacy belongs in this category, since we can't hear anything that he played in G position in standard tuning.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 01:18:20 PM »
Richard 'Hacksaw' Harney, I'm particularly thinking of his playing of Ragtime Blues from the 'Sweet Man' album.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
I just listened to Mance Lipscomb playing Ain't You Sorry out of G position. He's got some other gems in G too, but this one alone would qualify him for this list, in my opinion. What a player!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2023, 05:50:33 PM »
Reese Crenshaw, on the basis of one tune recorded "Trouble"--WOW!

Offline Lignite

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 06:59:24 AM »
Wow's right! I had to check up on Reese Crenshaw. He was recorded by the Library of Congress at the State Prison Farm in Milledgeville, Georgia, in 1934. On the song Trouble ,according to Discogs, Reese Crenshaw plays guitar while the vocals are handled by one "Cool Breeze."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal