collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I was a young boy coming up, that man was king, king, you hear me? - Muddy Waters, on Son House

Author Topic: Carey Bell RIP  (Read 1328 times)

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
Carey Bell RIP
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:14:07 AM »
What a wonderful man.  I remember working with him, what was it two years ago, at PT.  Remember he had to go to the hospital then. 

He had that great tone and distinctive third position style.  He and Phil really created a great learning environment that year.  He said something that really stuck with me when somebody asked, "Mr. Bell how can I get that great tone of yours"  Carey sharply retorted, "Everyone has there own tone, don't try to get someone elses, develop your own tone and style.  You can listen and like who you want but be yourself."

I had seen Carey several times over the years and I always love the richness and distinctiveness of his style.  I especially liked his Chromatic work.  He will be missed sorely.   :(

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Carey Bell RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »
R.I.P.  :(

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Carey Bell RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:15 AM »
I know he ain't country blues but, if I may, I'll add this little reminiscence of a truly nice man.

I'll never forget an afternoon in September 1986 when myself, Cilla and Mick Huggins went to London's 100 Club to watch Carey rehearse with the Junkyard Angels prior to that evening's performance. Some years earlier the Hugginses and Jim O'Neal had recorded a session with Carey and son Lurrie in Chicago and when he spotted the pair enter the club there was a yelp of delight and he jumped off the stage to greet his friends leaving Julian Piper and his band in mid-chord. The four of us sat down at one of the tables and Carey commenced to enthuse about that recording session and how pleased he was with the end result (Son Of A Gun - Rooster R2617, 1984). The evening's gig wasn't too well attended, hardly wall to wall with fans, nevertheless halfway through the set Carey left the stage on a harp solo walkabout and made a direct beeline in my direction playing to me - real eye to eye contact stuff - before moving on elsewhere in the audience. After the gig I commented on the poor turnout, saying it wasn't usually as poorly attended. He made the observation that it didn't matter because as he walked around playing to folk he could they were real fans of the music because they didn't avoid eye contact with him!

Tags: Carey Bell 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal