collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't play what's there, play what's not there - Miles Davis

Author Topic: midwestern weenies?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
midwestern weenies?
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:03:12 AM »
Since the member map is down... I'm wondering if there are weenies, lurkers or otherwise, in the upper midwest?? Just discovered there is a local "concentration" in Ann Arbor/Fort Wayne area.? (2 people within 150 miles is a concentration? - wow, that's pathetic? ;)).

tom

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
Re: midwestern weenies?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 06:40:04 AM »
Hi Tom,
I'm up here in Madison, Wisconsin.  Although I'm the only Weenie up here, there are a handful of people in the area who play and listen to country blues.  There are some good players in Chicago too: Eric Noden, Joel Paterson, Rick "Cookin" Sherry and Joe Filisko come to mind.  All of those guys are first rate.   You're not alone out here in the wilderness.
Todd

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 06:50:10 AM »
I believe it's been mentioned on WC before but worth repeating that Joe Filisko has taught at Port Townsend previously and is an astonishing harmonica player.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 08:06:22 AM »
I know you know John Hasbrouk (sp?) in Chitown, too, eh Todd? He's a very fine player. Posts as Hambone over at IGS, but I haven't seen a post from him in some time.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:25 AM »
Certainly I know John!  We used to play together in Catfish Stephenson's string band.  John is a great player and I should have included him in the list.  My apologies.
Filisko is incredible, but so is the lesser known Rick Sherry.  He and Joel Paterson, who I used to play with in my teens and twenties, have a great little trio called Devil in a Woodpile.   Rick spent a lot of years playing traveling with Honeyboy Edwards.  He played harp with Honeyboy and helped him to get around.  His wife was instrumental in getting Honeyboy's autobiography out. 
Eric Noden is a great player that studied with Andy Cohen when he was a kid.  He's a great guitar player and singer, great guy to boot.  That's a rare, yet valuable, combination.

Duke

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 09:10:02 AM »
Hm, these guys sound pretty intimidating (in a good way).  But as I learned when I used to play golf, if you want to improve you have to play with guys who are better than you.  The problem is finding guys like that who are willing to let a hacker join their foursome for a round.  Hopefully it's different with guitar players.  They do tend to have a cooler wardrobe, that's for sure.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 02:56:43 PM »
Find myself tending to agree with Duke - as a total hacker, I can't say I'm certain how well it would work for (semi)-professionals and me to try and "get together".? Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, don't want to be a reverse snob or anything!?

I will start hanging out a bit at IGS - generally avoided it as it can be a bit overwhelming on my senses and limited time.? It does seem to have a larger subscription, though.

BTW, Todd, I knew you were in Madison - I am actually from WI, and have several family members in Madison (UW alumnus myself).? After my frustrating recent experience with 12-strings, I definitely plan to try and get by to see your wares next time I'm over that way (not until after the summer at least).?

Tom

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 07:14:09 PM »
Eric Noden is a great player that studied with Andy Cohen when he was a kid.? He's a great guitar player and singer, great guy to boot.? That's a rare, yet valuable, combination.

Hey Todd, I was just checking out Eric's website and sound samples. Very nice. The real deal. Thanks for the tip...

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:17:15 AM »
Hi guys.  I don't post too much, but I make up for it with obsessive lurking.  I've lived in and around Chicago my whole life except for the last year I've spent in Memphis.  I'll be moving back to Chicago in a couple of months.  I've played with all those guys: Rick Sherry, Eric Noden, Hasbrouk, Joel Paterson (whew!), but not yet Filisko (although Rick always encouraged me to, I never did, which I plan to remedy).  There's also Paul K, a fantastic player, and Steve Doyle.  Paul was the guitarist for Devil In A Woodpile before Paterson got the gig.  I was actually briefly considered by Rick, until Joel came along and casually destroyed any possible chance I might once have had.  Noden, Doyle, Hasbrouk, myself, and the mind-bending musician Jim Conway were routinely shuffled through the position.  Jim Conway plays harp like nobody, and guitar as well.  I play guitar and banjo (cough cough).
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 09:58:03 AM »
BTW, Todd, I knew you were in Madison - I am actually from WI, and have several family members in Madison (UW alumnus myself).? After my frustrating recent experience with 12-strings, I definitely plan to try and get by to see your wares next time I'm over that way (not until after the summer at least).?
Yes, by all means, come by.? I don't have any 12 strings right now, but I have a whole mess of six strings, new and old.? Frank and I are actually working on an inventory page for my website so that I can start clearing the house.? There are a couple 12s at Spruce Tree Music .? Nevertheless, it's always fun to tour a guitar shop.

Hey Todd, I was just checking out Eric's website and sound samples. Very nice. The real deal. Thanks for the tip...
Eric is a great player with a lot of depth.? He knocked me off my feet the first time I heard him.? He played in town recently and we hung around the shop after a gig and swapped songs until the wee hours, it was a great time.? He has two great CDs,? 51 Highway is my personal favorite.  Eric's been playing fairly regularly with Joe Filisko lately.
Devil in a Woodpile just came out with a great CD too.? I think it's available from Blood Shot Records(?).? Thye did a really nice job recording it, it has a nice high-fi sound.? Joel Paterson is a hot guitar player that is well versed in a variety of styles.?
I saw Paul K and Rick Sherry play years ago, I think before they formed the band, and he was very great.? He played a great version of Steel Guitar Rag in standard tuning, without a slide.? I thought that that was pretty clever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 11:03:02 AM by Cambio »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal