collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well, it's just some lot of stuff that we made up and put in there - R.L. Burnside on the meaning of "Love is the Devil but It Won't Get Me"

Author Topic: Cylinder recording archive - online  (Read 2954 times)

Offline outfidel

Cylinder recording archive - online
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:57:15 AM »
This archive at UC Santa Barbara looks really interesting.

However, I've been trying to stream their program Cakewalks and Rags, but haven't had any success. My iTunes launches but the music doesn't play. Anyone have better luck with this?
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Cylinder recording archive - online
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »
Howdy Out - Works for me in iTunes. Thanks for the link...

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »
However, I've been trying to stream their program Cakewalks and Rags, but haven't had any success. My iTunes launches but the music doesn't play. Anyone have better luck with this?
Surprisingly I can too and it's playing as I type. I say "surprisingly" because I'm using dinosaur Apple Mac OS and dinosaur iTunes, both of which usually conspire to prevent me accessing anything like this.

Super listening material...

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »
I opened it with Winamp and it plays with no problem.

What a nice find.  Thanks for posting the link.

boots

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
Fine in Media Player as well.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »
Ah, okay now I've got "Cakewalks & Rags" streaming on my work laptop. The sound quality of these Edison cylinders is surprisingly good!

btw, I just started reading Lost Sounds by Tim Brooks -- so far it looks like a good read & very detailed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:26:45 PM by outfidel »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 01:28:59 PM »
Hey Outfidel

This site looks very interesting, and should be of fun for some time to come. The pages don't work so well at this very moment though, I suspect it's because of all the Weenies who rushed in to find that lost Blind Blake recording...

I searched their archives with the keyword "blues", and had 14 hits. Of course none of them resembled even slightly a "blues" as we know it. (A fellow named F. Van Eps played a banjo tune called "Lonesome Mama Blues" with a slightly boogieyish resembling passage -ending of course to the maj7th interval!)

I found on their "radio"-pages a stream of early American black artists, which I'm going to check next: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/blackartists.php. Did you notice it?

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I guess it's as close to time-travelling, as one is ever going to get.

Man, those minstrel groups sound incredibly good, those were good musicians at that time!

Pan

Offline outfidel

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
Hey! I just noticed another program on that site -- Early Black Artists and Composers -- which is curated by the same Tim Brooks who wrote Lost Sounds.

Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on that site...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
btw, I just started reading Lost Sounds by Tim Brooks -- so far it looks like a good read & very detailed.

Thanks for the tip on the book--needless to say its now on my list. I noticed that there is a companion CD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tracks/B000BPDF4C/002-7437055-3957602?%5Fencoding=UTF8#disc_1

http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=74

Has anyone heard it?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:23:54 PM by Stuart »

Offline outfidel

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
Stuart - I don't have the companion CD, but here's how Roots & Rhythm describes it:

Lost Sounds - Blacks & the Birth Of The Recording Industry
VARIOUS ARTISTS

Archeophone 1005
CD $26.98
Two CDs, 54 tracks, 154 mins, essential

Fabulous and important collection featuring some of the earliest recordings of African-American music made between 1891 and 1922. This set complements Tim Brooks's groundbreaking book of the same name (available from Roots & Rhythm - $65 - counts as 14 CDs for shipping) which documented the lives and music of the many black artists who recorded well before the 1920s which is the era usually associated with the beginning recordings of black music. Although there is not much here that will appeal directly to diehard blues fans there is much music of great interest and appeal including quartets singing spirituals and secular songs, the first recording of a minstrel group, jazz precursors like Europe's Society Orchestra and Wilbur C. Sweatman and much more including classical performances, novelty songs, comedy routines and a recording from 1891 of The Whistling Coon by George W. Johnson - one of the very first recordings of a black artist who had previously recorded the same song a year earlier and recorded the songs several more times as it was a big "hit." Johnson is thought to have recorded as early as 1878. There are also fascinating spoken word pieces from boxer Jack Johnson and the great black leader Booker T. Washington. Archeophone have done a truly remarkable job in sound restoration and in spite of the age, rarity and wear of these recordings the sound quality is highly listenable and enjoyable in their own right. The aforementioned George W. Johnson cylinder was broken in several pieces when found but you'd never know it. A couple of tracks were in such bad condition that very little could be done to improve the sound but are included because of their historical importance. Includes a 60 page illustrated booklet with notes by Brooks and full recording information. Congratulation to Archeophone for doing such a splendid job in making these important historical recordings available in such an appealing form. (FS)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:45:33 PM by outfidel »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 07:00:50 PM »
Outfidel:

Thanks for posting the Roots and Rhythm review. This strikes me as an impressive and very important book and CD set. I'm looking forward to reading the book and listening to the companion CD.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Stu

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal