collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"...probably the low point of my music-listening career": Mississippi bluesmen Skip James and John Hurt trying to perform a version of "Waiting for a Train" with one playing waltz time and the other 4/4 - David Evans quoted in Nolan Porterfield's biography of Jimmie Rodgers

Author Topic: Tommy Johnson  (Read 732 times)

Offline SDVB

• Howdy!
Tommy Johnson
« on: January 04, 2024, 04:00:18 AM »
I have numerous Tommy Johnson tracks spread over many CDs, including complete collections such as Document, Revenant, JSP and Catfish, as well as compilation CDs with one or two tracks. Recently I have been trying to compile a playlist comprising for each title the track with the best sound quality in my collection. I know there is a continuous debate about how much processing is optimum, with some complaining that the remastering as removed too much music as well as clicks, whilst others complain that the scratches and pops make the music almost unlistenable. I would be very interested to hear suggestions as to the definitive Tommy Johnson playlist.

Whilst attempting the above, I have become very confused over TJ's recordings of Lonesome Home Blues. I realise that the track released on Paramount is different to the two unissued takes recorded for Victor. With regard to the Victor recordings, I have found several recordings in my collection for Take 1, but only one for Take 2 on Document.
I would appreciate being pointed towards the best sound quality recordings for the 3 versions of this title.

Offline jpeters609

Re: Tommy Johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 10:37:48 AM »
I think a number of us have probably attempted the same thing. As far as the Victor recordings of "Lonesome Home Blues" (takes 1 and 2), the best versions to my ears can be found on "Memphis Blues Singers, Vol. 2" on the Frog label out of the UK (Frog DGF22). These were remastered by the late and legendary John R.T. Davies, presumably from original sources (whatever those might be) and not simply taken from existing remasters.

That CD also includes "Canned Heat Blues" and "Big Fat Mama Blues" in equally fine quality, and Vol. 1 includes "Cool Drink of Water Blues," "Big Road Blues," "Bye Bye Blues," and "Maggie Campbell Blues." Both CDs also have the Victor recordings of Ishman Bracy, Furry Lewis, Robert Wilkins, Frank Stokes, and Rosie Mae Moore.

You really can't go wrong with John R.T. Davies remasters.

The two "Lonesome Home" tracks are also found on Frog's "Memphis Rounder Blues" (Frog DGF80), presumably from the same John R.T. Davies remasters.
Jeff

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 02:04:08 PM »
Don't forget the "Blues Images" series by John Tefteller.
A handful of Tommy Johnson songs are published there.
"Lonesome Home Blues" is one of them on volume 8.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:47:33 PM »
My own very unscientific playlist compiled from what I have:

Cool Drink Of Water Blues – When the Sun Goes Down (Vol. 1)
Big Road Blues – The Best There Ever Was (Yazoo)
Bye Bye Blues – Jackson Blues (Yazoo)
Maggie Campbell Blues – Masters of the Delta Blues/Friends of Charlie Patton (Yazoo)
Canned Heat Blues – My Rough And Rowdy Ways: Early American Rural Music. Badman Ballads And Hellraising Songs, Vol. 1 (Yazoo) also Masters of Delta Blues
Lonesome Home Blues (Take 1, Unissued Test) – Memphis Rounders Blues (Frog)
Lonesome Home Blues (Take 2) – Memphis Rounders Blues (Frog)
Big Fat Mamma Blues – Masters of the Delta Blues/Friends of Charlie Patton (Yazoo)
I Wonder To Myself – Blues Images - Vol. 15 - 2018
Slidin' Delta – The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (Yazoo) (staticky but gets the most sound out of it)
Lonesome Home Blues – The Return Of The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (Yazoo) (staticky but a lot of sound)
Untitled Song - Take 1 (Boogaloosa Woman Blues) – Masters Of The Delta Blues, The Friends Of Charlie Patton (Yazoo)
Walking Shoes (Button Up Shoes) (Morning Prayer Blues) – Times Ain't Like They Used To Be Vol. 4 (Yazoo)
Black Mare Blues (Take 1) – Document (only place I have it)
Black Mare Blues (Take 2) – Jackson Blues (Yazoo)
Ridin' Horse – Blues Images 2014 (still very staticky)
Alcohol And Jake Blues – Blues Images 2014
I Want Someone To Love Me – Times Ain't Like They Used To Be - Vol. 8 (Yazoo)

Offline SDVB

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 09:33:25 AM »
Hi, I am still trying to compile my dream Tommy Johnson collections, including the best remasters of all his output. I have several questions for the experts who inhabit this forum.

1. Is the version of Lonesome Home Blues on "The Return of the Stuff that Dreams are Made Of" one of the Victor recordings (45463) or the Paramount recording (L-230-2)

2. Where can the best remasters of the two takes of Black Mare be found. I have one on Yahoo's Jackson Blues 1007 CD, but I am not sure whether that is take 1 or take 2.

3. I am confused by the two Morning Prayer and Boogaloosa Woman takes, which one is the Button Up Shoes on "Masters of the Delta Blues"?

4. Finally, how many takes were there of "I Want Someone To Love Me"? If there were 2 takes, which one is on the Blues Images 101 CD?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:42:09 AM by SDVB »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 09:46:08 AM »
Feel free to ask!
Chris

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 10:14:58 AM »
1.  Paramount

2.  Yazoo version is take 2. This is probably the best copy.

3.  Morning Prayer

4.  two sided test pressing discovered 2001 in Wisconsin, purchased by John Tefteller for over $12,000; John Tefteller: "The takes are virtually identical. I cannot discern any difference between the two."

Offline SDVB

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 03:36:05 PM »
Many thanks. Very helpful.

It is a shame that no one has issued a definitive Tommy Johnson CD of the best takes. And indeed for that matter, a definitive Charley Patton CD of the best takes.

When the Centennial Collection of Robert Johnson recordings came out, I finally felt that at long last I had one CD containing the best takes of his recordings, whereas the best takes of Tommy Johnson and Charley Patton are spread over a considerable number of CDs.

Anyway, thanks once again.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:28 PM »
I think with Patton you can't really do better than the two most recent Yazoo releases, the Best of and the Primeval Rags etc. There aren't many titles left after that.

Offline usha_pl

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 09:36:45 AM »
Who's to say we can't make one? Does anyone have any claim to these 100 year old tunes?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 09:51:04 AM »
Who's to say we can't make one? Does anyone have any claim to these 100 year old tunes?

in many cases, yes, and certainly the folks who have spent a ton of time and money remastering them over the years have a claim to their work. Nothing stopping you from making one for your own self, of course!

Offline SDVB

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 01:20:44 PM »
Agree totally about the Yazoo releases, though I think some tracks have been superseded by tracks on the CDs that accompanied the Blues Images calendars.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 10:17:09 AM »
Agree totally about the Yazoo releases, though I think some tracks have been superseded by tracks on the CDs that accompanied the Blues Images calendars.

Definitely – I've tried each year to update various playlists with those tracks as they come out. Hope Tefteller keeps the CDs coming even though the calendars have stopped.

Offline CF

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 10:37:59 AM »
Tefteller wanted to do a new T Johnson release and to use 1950s era photos of Tommy which his family has but want unreasonable money for usage. Probably there's not much incentive to release a complete TJ CD in 2024. We gotta make our own.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 01:15:42 PM »
That's a shame, too bad they didn't have connects with RCA or Sony during the mid-'90s when there seemed to be money for this kind of stuff.

Tags: Tommy Johnson 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal