collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The poor are getting poorer. The rich are getting rich. If I don't starve I'm a son of a gun - David McCarn, Cotton Mill Colic

Author Topic: Referrals needed for a good parlor to play slide  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Le Trompeur

• MY home
Referrals needed for a good parlor to play slide
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:43 AM »
HELP!

I haven't played slide in nearly three years because all of my guitars STINK when I try to play slide on them. I have a new Washburn parlor that sounds good for playing standard tunes but is a tremendous disappointment when I try to play slide and old Stella Tree of Life that looks good but that's about it.   I know I can get an old parlor that will have that authentic punch with a bark but my dilemma is I would like to purchase one I could drop a pickup in, gig with and will stand the test of time without emptying my pocket on repairs.  I've tried a few new guitars like the Art & Lutherie AMI, Blueridge and Recording Kings but they just don't project like the old ones do. I have considered some independent luthiers and would be willing to shell out the cash but we know that all guitars sound different and may not sound as good when playing slide; and then how would I know if it sounded good before throwing down the cash?

So I'm really not sure what to do and as a result haven't played slide in years.  I'd love to know your thoughts, suggestions and recommendations for my current conundrum.

Offline harriet

Re: Referrals needed for a good parlor to play slide
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:08 AM »
I had similar problems and I also tried resonators first but they were not the sound I was looking for for country blues slide - Mctell, BW Johnson, Fred McDowell and similar.

I went to catalogue quality ladder braced parlors from the 40's through 60's and they are loud and are pleasant sounding - and cheap as I bought them on ebay at a time last year when they were some bargains. The stellas 929s are hardy little pleasant sounding guitars as is the Harmony. The ones that are not completely satisfying is the oahu, which has a bolted and fixed bridge and on mine is not removable, and the kay is 14 fret with a thinner neck and is harder to play than the 12 frets. The stellas I have have a neck rod, and is very light.

I find it easier to string up the guitar for either vestapol or spanish, so mine are dedicated. The ones in the front row were under $800 all together with shipping, and none needed a neck reset for slide.

You can hear sound samples by typing in "stella 929" of the stella in you tube- I don't have any recordings yet to illustrate my post, sorry.

Good luck!

I think you would not have a problem with a pickup, but I felt there was a block on the end with those with a floating bridge. The bridge itself is movable so you would want to make note of  where it was - they intonate easily - you just shift them. My experience with a fixed drill through bridge was that it was more difficult to replace, and the older ones can crack horizontally.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:48:06 PM by harriet »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »
I'm having a hard time imagining that the Ami, which is one of the best guitars for slide i've ever played is not up to the task, i use a 1946 gibson lg3 with highish action and I think its superb Johnny Shines and Furry Lewis both played guitars with this body shape. They sure ain't cheap anymore though.
I'm inferring from what i'm hearing you say that you may be bearing down too hard on your slide, just a guess.
I would recommend getting a loose fiting piece of thin walled copper pipe
And letting it hober on the strings withoutuch pressur and see how that affects your huitars sounds. Also don't dam the strings at all.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
Sorry that's hover not hober and damp not dam ,,, also guitar obviously ,,, stupid fucking iphone keyboard,,,,,

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
My other suggestion is to read the big honking hollowbody electric archtop thread and see about picking up one of those with not such perfect action.
They often sound great with slide.

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
I agree with Mr.OMuck about the A&L Ami.  I've found the Ami to be a great guitar for slide.  I swaped out the stock saddle for one that was slightly higher, added a little bit of relief to the neck, and put on a set of mediums with the 13 swapped for a 15.  I have owned and played a few ladder brace guitars in my life and I think that the Ami has a slide sound that is just as good (better than many that I've played), and is indeed quite loud.  In fact I sold my late '20s First Hawaiian Conservatory of Music (Stella), and two solid wood Washburn "relic" parlors after I purchased my first Ami.  I now own two Amis!  Once you take off the rubber rosette that the newer ones sport, I think they look pretty cool as well.  If you you must have a vintage parlor, I would suggest one from the '20s or '30s with a solid top.  Also, try it before you buy if at all possible because from my experiance many of these older ladder braced guitars can sound completely different from each other even if they are the same model.  You might also like to take a look here: http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:48:18 AM by Westside Ryan »

Offline Le Trompeur

• MY home
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:34:35 AM »
Westside Ryan:

Thanks for the referral to vintageparlorguitars.com.  They have a few nice looking, tight Regals I'm going to inquire about!

Tags: parlor guitar 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal