collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

SENTENCE BLIND MUSICIAN FOR ASSAULT - Columbia, S. C., July 17. - (A. N. P.): Simmie Dooley, blind musician, has been sentenced to serve two months in the State penitentiary having been found guilty of a charge of assault and battery. Dooley's chief instrument is a guitar which he plays so well that while being brought to jail he earned nearly ten dollars from people along the way - Norfolk Journal and Guide, July 19, 1924

Author Topic: Anyone ever play a Fender CP-100 Parlor?  (Read 9463 times)

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
Anyone ever play a Fender CP-100 Parlor?
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
Howdy,

I am looking for a cheap ('cuz I'm broke) 2nd guitar to use for slide learning/playing.  I came across the Fender CP-100 online which can be had for around $150.  I can't seem to find any around town to try out and was wondering if anyone has played one of these?  I figure if it sounds half way decent I'd pick one up.  I know they have a laminated top and the tuners probably stink but I do have replacement tuners lying around.

Any input would be great!

-Ryan

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:19:12 AM by Westside Ryan »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Anyone ever play a Fender CP-100 Parlor?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:42 PM »
Ive not played one. 

If I were looking for a mainly slide guitar, in that price range (or even lower) I'd seriously think about a 50s / 60s Stella or similar.  Often on Ebay for very modest amounts.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:29:32 AM »
Can't comment on the Fender, but check this site out: http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html

Cheers

Pan

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
Not sure about the model no. on the Fender, but I played one in a shop a little while ago, it had a very narrow neck & fingerboard.
With a bit of TLC and some vigorous breaking-in, an ebay Stella or near equivalent might just be the thing. A mate of mine recently got an old 30s one, took a bit of mastering, but now it's sounding and playing as sweet as can be; not up to much for any delicate fretting, but great for slide playing. In fact, I might look at one for my next purchase.

Offline deejaid

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
Hey Ryan.  I have one of the new Fender Parlor guitars.  It is my first acoustic so I can't compare it to other acoustics, new or vintage, but I can tell you what my impressions are.

The guitar has a really nice feel with the satin finish.  The neck feels really nice and fast, not "sticky" like some inexpensive poly finished electrics I've played.  I'd like the nut width to be wider though as it is a litter narrower than my vintage Ibanez electrics.

The fit and finish is pretty good.  No sharp fret ends at all.  There are a few finish flaws on the soundhole edge of my guitar.  The tuners have a nice feel to them and work well.  Overall, it is a very comfortable guitar to play.  I really enjoy the sound of the guitar with a pick or bare fingers.  And I think the Fender Parlor is the modern version of what the 1930's delta blues players might buy if the where around today.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
If you look at Harmony Stellas, aim for pre 1970s.  The earlier ones (according to Neil Harpe- an authority on the subject) pretty much all had solid tops.  The later ones had plywood.

Offline Laura

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Hi Ryan,

I've actually just bought one of those recently.  I'm using it exclusively for open tunings and I absolutely love it! 

For the price I think it's a really nice guitar.  It sounds loud and bright.  In fact i'm working on a couple Furry Lewis tunes right now which I hope to post in the next couple of days (though you've probably heard some real guitarists play it on YouTube!)

I also bought the guitar with slide in mind (again it was between the fender and an old ebay stella) but I went for the new fender as I've only just started playing around with slide and wanted something I knew wouldn't give me too many problems.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
In the entire history of the Fender company it would be a first if they produced a half decent acoustic guitar (other than the Guild takeover, thankfully they didn't mess with Guild's ability to put one together), so I will remain slightly skeptical until I get my hands on one. I can count on the fingers of no hands the good acoustic guitars Fender have cranked out over the years. Teles, Strats, no problem. Acoustic instruments, they are batting zero so far. Maybe this time...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:48:01 PM by Rivers »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal