collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
After years of studying folklore, I've decided that it doesn't exist - John Fahey

Author Topic: Various Rev. Gary Davis tunes and a few surprises  (Read 1663 times)

davispicker

Various Rev. Gary Davis tunes and a few surprises
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:14:37 AM »
Hello good folks,

Its been awhile since I posted here but I recently recorded a few tunes so thought I would share them:

www.nowhereradio.com/davispicker/singles

Here's my list of tunes:

Candyman
Delia
Soldier's March
Let Us Get Together
I Belong to the Band
Kevin's Song (original)

and two Christmas tunes I modfied for the season:

Early Morning Christmas Blues

Folsom Prison Christmas Blues

Enjoy everyone!

Brian

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Various Rev. Gary Davis tunes and a few surprises
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »
Hey Brian:

I just listened to your version of "Delia", which I had not heard before.

Enjoyed it. Nice rippling guitar part.

A couple of comments, In my opinion, the song could be played just a touch faster and with a touch more "edge" (it is after all about killing), especially in the vocal. Have you tried singing a bit louder? Maybe insert some string bends for emphasis.

All this is minor stuff, because it's  nicely done as it is. I always appreciate when others suggest improvements to my (flawed) playing.

Best of luck,
Alex

davispicker

Re: Various Rev. Gary Davis tunes and a few surprises
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »
Hi, Alex,

Many thanks for listening and for the useful feedback!  I think you are quite right in your points.  My version is too gentle and needs more of an edge.  I hardly ever sing (you can tell I'm sure!!), but will work on this, and rough up the guitar part a bit.  J. Cash's version of course has more of an edge to it (it is on one of his American Recordings cds), but I think when I play this I think of a version I heard Roy Bookbinder do (its the Rev. Gary Davis arrangement of course) on his Travelin Man album.  That version always struck me as a bit on the gentler side.  I'm gonna try loosening up as you suggest and see where it goes!

Cheers,

Brian

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal