collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Away out where the men are men, down in El Paso, that is where they call me a yodeling hobo - Gene Autry, "The Yodeling Hobo"

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 221474 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2005, 09:44:06 AM »
Thanks ZJ - Welcome to Weenie Campbell!

Offline KC King

• Honey, Let me bring my clothes back home!
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2005, 09:12:28 PM »
Hey y’all --
I signed onto Weenie Campbell about a month ago. I decided to go with the moniker KC King because it’s a combination of where I spent some of my growing up years (Kansas City) and my last name – my given name is Christopher King which in the world of country blues is just too common (musicians, collectors, etc).

I picked up my first harmonica when I was 13, but had put it down for along long time til recently -- now I’m trying it out again. I played piano in jazz combos in college – lots of bebop. So I have a weak left hand and habitually add ninths to everything. ;) I worked at a record store as a buyer of jazz, blues, world, folk etc, and developed my interest in pre-war country blues (and got a lot of CDs too). Lately, I’ve been working on trying (trying is the active verb here) to play the quills – just Bulldoze Blues at this point.

My sweet wife is a fiddler with the Weenie moniker of Emma Lee. She went to PT last year and raved about it, so we will both be going this year.

By the way, the picture accompanying my posts is that of a train ferry (a river steamboat ferrying a locomotive – the train tracks in the foreground are for disembarking). My father took the picture around 1946 in Helena, Arkansas, where he grew up, in the Delta.

On a different thread, Slack said that if we talk politics it should be from the twenties and thirties so here goes – I’m frightened by the rise of fascism, and this New Deal of FDR’s sounds like a good deal, let’s keep it.
KC (Chris) King

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2005, 10:51:18 PM »
Welcome KC, Good to have some more harp and piano on this guitar centric (so far) board. Look forward to seein' ya at PT
And I like your '30s politics, sir.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2005, 08:47:32 AM »
Hi KC,

Welcome to WeenieCampbell.    and somehow, although I cannot confirm it, I think yer cheatin' on the politics. ;)

You'll have a blast at Port Townsend..... and you may be the first quill player to show up.  Have you seen Link on Quills posted by Mert?

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=47.msg7521#msg7521

Also, you've now got me curious, I'd like to see a full size picture of that train ferry (pretty hard to see at that size) - so please post a full size pic if you can. 

Cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2005, 08:51:43 AM »
Yes, it looks like a really nice photo. I'd like to see it bigger as well.

Welcome KC! Looking forward to hearing those quills.

Offline Flatd7

• Pre War Blues, Country, Bluegrass & Gospel Music
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2005, 09:36:02 AM »
Name is Jon, 44 and counting . . . . .

Born and raised in NYC although I'm a Jersey boy now (how did that happen?).

Started playing guitar in fourth grade. Mostly the Mel Bay stuff. Tom Dooley and Jingle Bells. Was ready to give up when my mother got me a lesson with a teacher named Valerie (who still teaches in NYC). She was around five or six years older and after two minutes of listening to me try and play some Mel Bay sheet music said, "STOP. Do you know Blowin' In The Wind? It goes like this".

I spent most of my youth obsessed with guitar, although I was more interested in Les Paul's than L-00's. When I was really young we only had about a half dozen records. But among them were my father's Johnny Cash, Roger Miller and Smother's Brother's records. I only realized recently that those probably cemented my tastes for country and blues.

I had some notoriety playing in bar bands around New York and Boston during my high school and college years, but by the eighties I figured I'd learned all I could and hung them up. Then, as I've heard told from several others, my daughter started to take guitar lessons......... Hanging around the local music store I decided I'd like to fiddle around with a slide guitar. After a few weeks I realized that to do so, I'd really have to learn how to finger pick after all these years. I had faked some Norman Blake and Jorma material with a flat pick years ago. To make a long story a tad shorter, I bought a mess of DVD's, stopped talking to the family for a while and acquired a bunch of guitars.

Nowadays, I'm a bit of a finger style groupie hanging at the coat tails of Woody Mann, Mike Dowling, Mary Flower, Ernie Hawkins and Steve James to name a few. Never found a workshop or a seminar I didn't like. I'm playing loads of Bluegrass, Pre War Blues and Swing. I've picked up a good bit of Dobro, Slide and Mandolin over the past couple of years. Not quite ready for gigs, but I think I'd like to before much longer.

Since I'm always looking out for a good lesson or Jam, I'll probably see you down the road. Been hanging at the IGS Forum mostly. Getting a little crowded over there. Never been to PT, but there's always next year! How about Greater Yellowstone? Whoa nelly, that's a good faculty.

Keep pick'n and grin'n.

Offline KC King

• Honey, Let me bring my clothes back home!
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »

Have you seen Link on Quills posted by Mert?

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=47.msg7521#msg7521

Also, you've now got me curious, I'd like to see a full size picture of that train ferry (pretty hard to see at that size) - so please post a full size pic if you can.

Yes, I’ve seen that quills page. It’s my next door neighbor's. The three dots on the member page representing Seattle are actually collocated within about one hundred feet!?Here is the picture:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:01:47 PM by KC King »
KC (Chris) King

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2005, 09:01:02 PM »
Wow, what a great picture and a fascinating operation.   KC, you used the term "train ferry" - do you mean that this was a regular ferry run for a train? and presumably some train cars?  Or was it some kind of rare occassion - that they were delivering locomotives after manufacturing or something?

Thanks for posting!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »
Interestingly, Slack, if you ever come to San Francisco for my Third Thursday gig, I can show you a floating dock used for loading just such rail ferries for moving freight from SF over to Oakland, and, perhaps, Marin or further up the Delta before any of the bridges were built. It juts out at an angle right in front of the boat club where I play, creating the clubs little "harbor". And you may have ridden on the actual ferries that served just that purpose, still in use up in Puget Sound after having been retrofitted for motor vehicles.. Next time you're on a ferry up there, search around the passenger area 'til you find a photo of the ship with a legend of the history of it's service.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

boots

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2005, 02:48:11 AM »
Here! Here! on that one.

Boots

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2005, 07:47:35 AM »
Will do JohnC - you can tell I'm a desert rat, uh? 

bluedogshuffle

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
Big fan of country blues,my favorites are Mississippi Fred ,Mississippi John Hurt,Skip James,Bukka white,Ferry Lewis,Johnny Shines, on and on, but my all time favorite is Son House! I'm new here and injoy everthing about the site.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2005, 07:07:03 AM »
Welcome Bluedog!

Gooch

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2005, 07:17:43 AM »
Hello everybody!
Just stumbled on to this site a few days ago and I can't turn it off! I never knew there were so many folks who enjoy the same music as I do. So I'll tell you a little about myself. Been playing guitar since I was twelve in one style or another but couldn't "sit down and play someone a tune " that is until I bought a cassete tape of Etta Baker's One Dime Blues! When I heard that woman play I knew thats what I'd been looking for. I taught myself how to use my thumb, bought a Gibson L-00 and haven't used a pick since. My other big influences are John Hurt (he's THE MAN!) John Dee Holeman, Roy Book Binder (bought all his instructional tapes) Merle Travis, Doc Watson and Rev. Gary Davis. Also been listening to Hugh Pool "tear it up" on his beat up old National. I'm looking forward to posting something on the back porch as soon as I can figure out how to get the music in the box!

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2005, 07:50:04 AM »
Welcome to Weeniecambell, Gooch. Glad you found this site. I accidentally stumbled on it myself a short time ago and find it motivating to read all the knowledgeable posts of some real blues afficiandos. Make sure to go to the member map and place your pin. I keep hoping someone from Scottsdale, AZ will join besides my self. That would be some stroke of luck but fat chance I guess.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal