collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you want to master somebody, you know, lock in on the one that has the most CDs. Because that'll give you the most material. And bury yourself in it. But don't expect to play with anybody who wants to hear you play Blind Blake, 500 tunes. I don't even wanna listen to a whole Blind Blake tape half the time... - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Delmore Brothers (Classic Cuts 1933-1941) on JSP  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
Delmore Brothers (Classic Cuts 1933-1941) on JSP
« on: September 12, 2004, 01:15:51 PM »
I picked this 4 CD set up a couple of weeks ago, and courtesy of some long drives, have had the opportunity to listen through twice. While not strictly Country Blues, they are definitely 'Country' and I count about ten song titles with 'Blues' in them. I picked the set up at A&B Sound, and with my discount, paid about $26 CDN for a total of 87 tracks - presented in chrono order. I have enjoyed Jorma's 'Blue Country Heart' album on Sony Legacy, and several of the tunes he covers are presented here in original form. Some of the high-lites for me included:
1. Great guitar duet work played at a pretty good clip, with brothers Alton (guitar) and Rabon (tenor guitar - maybe played tuned as a tenor banjo?) switching back and forth with lead and rhthym duties (they also switch vocal parts, trading harmonies, perhpas even in the same song - must have been real showmen!);
2. Across the 4 CDs, listening to their sytle change and mature from gospel/traditional sounds to the beginiings of rockabillly;
3. Yodelling in harmony - not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes you sit up and take notice the first time you hear it!
4. Some great novelty tunes I had never hear before, including 'Smokey Mountain Bill and His Song' and 'Happy Hickey - The Hobo'; and
5. My favorite songs out of the bunch - 'Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar', 'Blue Railroad Train',? and 'Singing My Troubles Away'.

From the unusually detailed liner notes, I was surprised to learn that The Delmores used to play with Uncle Dave Macon, and with Sam and Kirk McGhee, to supplement the pittance they were paid for a daily 15-minute slot on the WSM Opry broadcast.

The re-mastering has produced a very clean set of recordings - good vocal diction, and very clear guitar parts. Next I need to find a reasonably priced collection of their post-war King recordings. Any suggestions?

Other recent JSP releases that are on my radar include a Jimmie Rogers collection and an Uncle Dave Macon collection.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 10:43:54 PM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Delmore Brothers (Classic Cuts 1933-1941) on JSP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 03:18:56 PM »
Hi FP - Definitely want to get the Jimmie Rodgers set for myself, and one for my dad. Thanks for the notes on the Delmores...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Delmore Brothers (Classic Cuts 1933-1941) on JSP
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the review Bill, a comprehensive Delmores collection is long overdue.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal