collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Dr. Dominicker, what is your text going to be next Sunday?" "Well brother fowls and sister fowlettes, my text next Sunday will be taken from the Bed of Feathers." "The Bed of Feathers?" "Titled 'If the Rooster Had a Toothache, Would the Hen Pull It?'" - Honeyboy and Sassafras, "The Chicken Sermon" on Cluck Old Hen - A Barnyard Serenade (Old Hat)

Author Topic: The Tenneva Ramblers--"The Longest Train I Ever Saw"  (Read 737 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
The Tenneva Ramblers--"The Longest Train I Ever Saw"
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi all,
The Tenneva Ramblers, consisting of Claude Grant on guitar and vocal, Jack Grant on banjo-mandolin, Jack Pierce on fiddle and Claude Slagle on banjo recorded "The Longest Train I Ever Saw" at the Bristol, Tennessee sessions on August 4, 1927.  The Grant brothers and Claude Slagle were actually from Bristol.  How many bands have had two members named Claude?  Of all of the versions of "The Longest Train/In the Pine" song family that we have encountered, this one is the closest in terms of melody and rhythmic treatment to the version Bill Monroe recorded with his Bluegrass Boys much later.  Here is their performance of the song: 

The longest train that I ever saw was on that Georgia Line
The engine passed at six o'clock, and the cab, it passed at nine

SOLO

"Little girl, little girl, don't tell me no lie.  Where did you stay last night?"
"I stayed in the pines, where the sun never shines, I shivered when the cold winds blow."

SOLO

Oh, see that lonesome turtle dove, he's flying from pine to pine
It's mourning for it's own lost love, just like I mourn for mine

SOLO

Oh, the best of friends must part some time, so why not you and I?
It's a long steel rails and a short cross tie, I'm gaining my way back home

SOLO

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:52:06 PM by Johnm »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal