collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If the blues was whiskey I'd stay drunk all the time - Leadbelly, DeKalb Blues

Author Topic: guitar surgery  (Read 3160 times)

crawley

guitar surgery
« on: June 05, 2005, 12:07:12 AM »
anyone here in the golden gate area know where to get a cheap neck reset performed. i actually would like to do it my self, but i don't have the tools or experience. if you have the time and know how, i'd like to learn how from you. if not i may perform the surgery untrained and quite likely unsober.
don't make me do it. cuase i will.
blind gabriel cthulu

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: guitar surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 09:03:18 AM »
I don't live in the Bay Area, but I seem to recall reading in Acoustic Guitar that Frank Ford works in the region. Also there's Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA. You might also check out WWW.Stewmac.com which has a two hour video on the subject:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Video,_DVD,_software/Dan_Erlewine's_Repair_Series/Dan_Erlewines_Neck_Resets.html

But at the risk of sounding like a jerk, why "cheap?" I'm sure there are many good reasons,? but if its being done on a quality guitar, why not just pay a reliable and experienced expert the going rate for a good job?? By the time you invest in all the tools, etc. it might just be more cost effective--and safer--to pay somebody who has done it many times before.

Stuart

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »
Crawley,

Waxwing may pipe up on this. He's currently not hooked up to the net for a little while, but he has a guy in the area he likes a lot I believe.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:46:19 PM »
I'm checking in from time to time at an internet cafe. Won't be hooked up 'tilthe 13th.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no such thing as a cheap reset. I would highly recommend Gary Brawer Stringed Instrument Repair in San Francisco. Gary and his crew have done very fine work for me on many ocassions, including 2 resets. No, they weren't cheap, but those guitars play like butter now.

If you really just want to make a cheap guitar playable, you might want to talk to Fat Dog at Subway Guitars in Berkeley. But I wouldn't take a nice vintage guitar there. He's known more for weird "Frankenstien" creations, really.

There are some other good lothiers in the east bay. Try Thin Man String Company in Alameda. He's kind of a wierd duck but likes to work on old guitars.

That's all I can think of off hand, anyone else?

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 10:10:45 AM »
Had my Martin D-35 neck reset by Eric Schoenberg's man in SF, was expensive, but it has markedly improved the tonality, the sustain, and the natural vibrato from the instrument.

I am selling it anyway, cuz it is one huge and voluptuous guitar to play, and I like comfort with a little fullness in the right places, just like my women! :P Am playing Todd's little parlor with light strings, just arrived, and am really enjoying it.

Take the guitar to Eric's in Tiburon, and see what it will cost. Nothing to lose.
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »
To continue Miller's thread, I had my D-35 (1971) gone through by Frank Finocchio in Easton, PA about five years ago. Frank worked as an engineer at Martin and is an authorized Martin repairman. (My daughter and I visited Frank and the Martin factory--took the tour--yesterday, but this is besides the point.) All the work was under warranty, so the costs (except the installation of an adjustable trussrod) were covered and thus not a consideration. But if it did cost $350-$500 which I guess was the non-warranty price at the time, it would have been worth it.? Frank really "tuned" up the entire guitar up so that as in Miller's case, the result was a far superior instrument in terms of tone and playability. So I guess my point is that sometimes its worth it to spend the money for quality work on a quality instrument. If Miller recommends Eric's shop and his repair person, I would definitely check into it and if it isn't a financial burden, then have the work done. If you enjoy the instrument, then you will most probably look back on it as money well spent.

Stu

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:36:39 PM »
Yeah, I think that's right. I had success with Eric's man, and John C's man in SF may be superb as well. I almost took it to Gary myself, but I frequent Eric's store and try his old and new guitars, see him at jams, so it seemed a natural to take it there.

If the work is done well by an experienced person, then it's worth the money and time.
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Ignatznochops

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 09:08:43 PM »
What have people been spending on a good quality re-set? I've undertaken the rehabilitation of a grand concert sized Cerrito-made Galiano, and of course it needs a re-set. In the Milwaukee area we have Rauen, who probably does an excellent job, but they get $500 for a re-set. Seems a bit excessive to me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:09:44 PM by twochops »

Offline jed

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 04:16:37 AM »
Just a note:  Frank Ford does great work, and probably still works at Gryphon's .  Cost of the reset depends on exactly what gets done - probably starts at 150 or so..  I'd recommend practicing on a $25 garage sale find, then taking your good guitar to someone like Frank.  Blind and drunk - only Weenie Campbell could pull that off.

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
Howdy:

I have had a few neck resets done recently, all in the $350 Cdn range or slightly less. $500 US sounds too high.

Alex

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 07:54:03 PM »
Howdy:
Does Todd Cambio do resets on others guitars? Worth asking him, IMHO. His little parlors he has reset and worked on are real sweet, friends :)...Andrew and I have them.
Cheers,
Miller

Buzz

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »
I think the cost of shipping both ways would probably make that prohibitive, Miller, but there are certainly luthiers in the bay area capable of doing a fine job for reasonable rates. I take mine to Gary Brawer in SF. He is one of the best and has a star studded clientel, both electric and acoustic. I think he charges $400 for a reset unless there are other issues as well. However I never ask for a time frame as he takes a lot of emergency work for touring professionals who pay much higher rates for immediate service. I have, at times, waited several months for a guitar that required a neck reset and more, but the final result was excellent.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

crawley

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 10:04:20 PM »
Hey guys, thanks all this input really helps me out.
I have been in communication with Todd and he seems like the way to go. Very fair price and experienced with old guitars. But you know, this dude I know named Fat Dawg's got me thinkin'.
I visit him every so often. He's about the cheapest I've found. I played an old all birch stella he resurrected and it plays great. Too good actually.
He's a weird dude but seems alright. Let me know if anyone out there has any horror stories about him.

G.C. Koonaklaster

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal