collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's funny just how hard a man can fall, when he get to thinking one woman has got it all - Blind Arthur Blake, Chump Man Blues

Author Topic: Charlie McCoy  (Read 2368 times)

HardLuckChild

Charlie McCoy
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:12:17 PM »
How is the Charlie McCoy Document disc? I just heard two songs from it on Weenie Juke. One sounded closely related to Tampa Red's "It's Tight Like That," and the other was a slow slide piece. The second one sounded great. Does anyone own this disc?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Charlie McCoy
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »
I own it and love it. It's a mixed bag. Charlie played guitar and mandolin, so some of it is string band stuff, some Sheiks-like stuff, some solo guitar, a waltzy number. Sort of all over the place. If you're into mandolin, it's utterly essential. There's more mando than solo guitar. I'd request more of it on the Juke and see what you think. Sound is rough in places. It's a great disc but may be one of those unavailable Documents (not sure).

Elliott

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:26:15 AM »
Charlie Mccoy is one of my all time favorite pre-war guys. So many great songs in a lot of different styles. Everything from hokum pop songs to country blues and later on blues/jazz with the Harlem Hamfats. Theres a song called 'That lonesome train that took my baby away' which really is something special, theres also three duets with female vocalist called Rosie Mae Moore where he plays guitar mandolin style which are just fantastic. Too long, Always in love with you, Hiding on me, Candyman blues, Charity blues Let my peaches be, so many great songs! Plus some duets with his eaqually gifted brother Joe. I cannot recommend the cds more.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:03:51 AM »
Welcome to WeenieCampbell, Elliott. I agree about Charlie. He's one of those unsung greats in my opinion. His choosing to play more backup roles than lead ones keeps him in the shadows but he's a dynamite musician. From down-home Mississippi to string band to jazzy stuff like you say, he runs the gamut. "That Lonesome Train..." is worth the price of the CD alone, IMO. His brother Joe, though better known, is another who isn't given as much credit as he is due I think.

Elliott

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:33:59 PM »
Yeah, i second that. I forgot to mention all the duets he did with Ishmon Bracey and Thommy Johnson. Maggie Campbell and Saturday night blues are just so well exercuted. Didnt he also record with Johnny Temple? More people really should hear the Rosie Mae Moore songs, theyre as good as anything by Ruth Willis, Helen Humes or Memphis Minnie, they just have this incredibly dark edge, she sings like shes a school girl but her delivery is of a much older more experienced woman. Magic....

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:00:35 AM »
Hey:

Yeah, Charlie was the second guitarist on "Lead Pencil Blues" by Johnnie Temple, which is the first recording of the boogie shuffle bass pattern.

BTW Charlie is great in this one  and the song is a "must hear" country blues classic.

IMHO that is.

Lead in my pencil, it done gone bad,
Alex

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
I realise that this topic has been dormant four years now but with McCoy's mandolin style being discussed elsewhere it reminded me of the Charlie McCoy feature Tony Russell wrote for his "Blues Masters of the 30s" series (Jazz & Blues, May 1971, p. 29-30). It's pretty damned ancient but I could OCR and put in the "articles" section. Any takers?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
I think I speak for several of us when I say Hell Yes! And by that of course I mean we'd be most grateful.  :D

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
I did a show on Joe & Charlie McCoy back in March. You can listen here:

Joe & Charlie McCoy

Here's the show notes/playlist:

http://sundayblues.org/archives/246

-Jeff H.

Tags: Charlie McCoy 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal