collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Among the blues singers who have gained more or less national recognition, there is scarcely a man's name to be found - Howard Odum and Guy Johnson, 1926

Author Topic: Memphis 5's  (Read 1849 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Memphis 5's
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
Why not?

Another song I've demoed ahead of deciding whether to take it into the studio - Charlie Jordan's "Memphis 5s". Don't have Lee Green handy for the piano so it's a guitar duet again. i've never heard anyone else play this, I know it's a trite thing but it got me hooked.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Memphis 5's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
Hi Phil,
You're right, that is one catchy number.  I like the over-all sound and feel, but it seems something funny happens rhythmically at the end of the verse with the repetitions of the line, "Got those Memphis 5s".  The vocal doesn't sound like it is phrasing with the accompaniment.  I'll listen to the source recording and see if any more helpful clues as to what I'm talking about come my way.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »
Hi Phil,
I just listened to Lee Green and this one is a candidate for "Vocal Phrasing:  The Long and the Short of It".  He goes into the tail end of the form like so, with "B'lieve to my" pick-up notes coming out of the eight bar.  I'll show the last phrase with hash marks relative to the lyrics to show where the beats fall

| Soul, babe, she's got those Mem-phis| Fives, I mean, those Memphis| Fives                |
    |       |    |         |             |      |       |          |    |           |            |      |    |    |

So it turns out that what Lee Green did is instead of playing four bars of four beats apiece, he plays three bars, holding the first of the bars, with the V chord, for six beats, than resolving to the I chord the first time he says "Fives" and playing two bars of four beats each.  Note that in the six-beat measure the third beat falls between "babe" and "she's", and in the second bar the third beat falls between "mean" and "those".  Note too, that the first time he sings "Memphis" he gives each syllable a beat, but the second time, he sings the whole word in one beat.  The phrasing reminds me a little of Frankie Lee Sims on "Lucy Mae Blues".
I hope this helps.  If you can get the tail end of the form to synch up and swing you'll have it made, because you have the front end of the form knocked.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:12:33 PM by Johnm »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the help John.
I found it quite difficult to work out exactly what was going on in the refrain  - this one is a bit nearer i hope.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:32:57 AM by blueshome »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »
Just listened to this one...

I really like the way the guitars drive against each other- gonna be a great thing to record I think Phil.  Really swings.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:54:59 AM »
Hey, that's a very nice guitar duet arrangement! This song seems to suits your voice very well too, so go for it.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
 :) :)

Love this tune and arrangement...lots of fun to listen to!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
nice one phil!

Tags: blueshome 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal