collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't mind no men friends but I'm scared they might cramp my style - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Saturday Night Spender Blues

Author Topic: Big Bill Broonzy Paramount found  (Read 568 times)

Offline jpeters609

Big Bill Broonzy Paramount found
« on: November 08, 2023, 08:06:16 AM »
Posted on another forum ("The Rarest 78s" on Facebook) is the news that a collector has found a previously undiscovered Big Bill Broonzy 78 on Paramount: "Station Blues"/"How You Want It Done" (Paramount 13084). So these records do continue to turn up, amazingly. This was a very late Paramount, recorded in May 1931.

So far, these are the only details regarding its discovery:

"I found it in St. Louis. I’m visiting a friend of mine and wanted to go look for some 78s. Ran into someone at a record store who had a ton he was trying to get rid of for someone. Bought a few hundred records for $.15 a piece and this was in the middle of a box of entirely ordinary Brunswicks."
Jeff

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Big Bill Broonzy Paramount found
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
There's a fellow on Instagram – adrem78 – who posts pictures of his very shiny 78 collection along with the records playing – he posted last month Frank Stokes' "It's a Good Thing" and not only was it a very clear copy but it was a take that I had never heard and that I don't believe has ever been reissued. So those things are definitely still out there!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 04:20:27 PM »
Well, then there must still be hope for the missing Willie Brown Paramounts.

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 04:56:12 PM »
a collector has found a previously undiscovered Big Bill Broonzy 78 on Paramount: "Station Blues"/"How You Want It Done" (Paramount 13084)
By the looks of it, the chap who bought it may not be 'a collector' in the way one might think of Pete Whelan, Bernie Klatzko etc etc

Going by the username Freddle_Mercury, he posted about it on Reddit. Here's his posts, including about Paramount the if anyone's interested -  https://www.reddit.com/user/Freddle_Mercury/

It's nice that he sounds suitably honored and respectful of what he has, in terms of rarity and a piece of history at least.  It may be true that the world is not waiting with baited breath for another Big Bill side, wonderful as he was - but for hardcore collectors like Tefteller et al, this is a pivotal life moment one suspects.
I just finished watching the Youtube doco about that gentleman which Stuart posted -  https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12948.new#new

The new owner says on Reddit that he's talked to Tefteller on the phone already and they didn't specifically negotiate anything.
But I would bet that Tefteller simply will feel his life has a gigantic hole in it if he does not acquire this record.
So that's my prediction for what happens - for several thousand dollars of the folding stuff, he will make it his.

There's a fellow on Instagram – adrem78 – who posts pictures of his very shiny 78 collection along with the records playing – he posted last month Frank Stokes' "It's a Good Thing" and not only was it a very clear copy but it was a take that I had never heard and that I don't believe has ever been reissued.
I might join Instagram for this ! There are 2 known "It's a Good Thing"s right?  And this one would mean a third - have I understood correctly ?
That's pretty exciting actually  :o

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 06:19:01 PM »
I might join Instagram for this ! There are 2 known "It's a Good Thing"s right?  And this one would mean a third - have I understood correctly ?
That's pretty exciting actually  :o

Yes this would be a third. It sounds a lot better than that one with the wrong speed that was the early recording so I suspect it's an alternate of the later recording (he posted a pic of the record but I didn't go check the matrix number) – Stokes briefly starts singing "You Shall" at the beginning of it then realizes he's supposed to be singing a different song, and there are some very cool Dan Sane fills audible on it even from my crappy phone speaker.

It may have been reissued somewhere but it's not on the Document and I'm pretty sure it's not the one on either Yazoo release.

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 12:32:36 AM »
It may have been reissued somewhere but it's not on the Document and I'm pretty sure it's not the one on either Yazoo release.
I don't have the Document CD but confirm that it's not on either the Yazoo 'Creator Of The Memphis Blues' nor 'Best Of Frank Stokes', that vocal start you describe.

So, could it be ?!!!.....  :o :o :o

I guess it conceivably could - and that's why you're mentioning it in the context of "they're still out there"..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal