collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The Bible's right, somebody's wrong. Ah mean, you are wrong - Sister O.M. Terrell, The Bible's Right

Author Topic: Hacksaw Harney's grave  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Rockdale

Hacksaw Harney's grave
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
Does anyone know exactly where Hacksaw Harney is buried? I found this information doing a google search but I don't know if it's accurate.

http://www.bmansbluesreport.com/2011/09/hacksaws-downsouth-blues-richard-harney_4680.html

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Hacksaw Harney's grave
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »
FWIW this was a topic raised on the PWBG in August. Gene Rosenthal responded thus:

The only person that I know who would/might conceivably have the grave location viz Hacksaw is Steve Lavere, who I believe at the time of Hacksaw's Death was still living in Memphis (or environs) and if so, would most certainly know the details, given his absolute dedication at the time to ALL of the then still surviving first generation Blues musicians residing in Memphis and his personal relationship with Hacksaw.

If there's a need to "identify" by stone or bronze plaque Hacksaw's grave site, then I will personnally finance same, and would have years ago if I'd been informed of such need!

Offline Rockdale

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bunker Hill. What's the PWBG?

According to the blog post that I found, the farm where Hacksaw is supposed to be buried at is only a few hours from where I live. If I can get some credible information about it, I'll probably make a trip over there.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bunker Hill. What's the PWBG?
Sorry for the lazy use of acronym - Prewar Blues Group at Yahoo which commenced 10 February 1999. A postwar group, along similar lines, was also started at the same time.  Their may well be a topic here devoted to the prewar group.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Good to hear Hacksaw will get some recognition. Keep us posted.

Offline Rockdale

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
Definitely good to hear oversee. Hacksaw is one of my favorite players to listen to.

Offline oversee

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »
All can now be revealed, please check out the news section on www.bluesmatters.com

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »
Here is the direct link to the article: http://bluesmatters.com/magazine/2011/11/putting-right-an-injustice-obtaining-a-gravestone-for-richard-%E2%80%9Chacksaw%E2%80%9D-harney/

Oversee, Elijah Wald had put out a call elsewhere for people to write to support this recognition of Hacksaw Harney. Should people be writing to the county board in support of recognition for Hacksaw? What was so sensitive and delicate about all of this?

Offline oversee

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
The cemetery is under the control of the local correction facility, and until things had moved along further it was felt wise not to give out the cemetery lot #. Those wishing to add their names can email them to bluesbeaver@hotmail.com as ie Marcia Weaver, Jackson, MS, US. Your support is warmly welcomed.

Offline oversee

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
The Hinds County Board of Supervisors approved the resolution this morning to allow a grave marker for Richard "Hacksaw" Harney. Donations can be made to Steve Salter via www.KillerBlues.net
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:46:18 PM by oversee »

Offline oversee

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
The Raymond, Mississippi cemetery where Richard "Hacksaw" Harney is laid, has a temporary stake on the spot where he is laid, with a #15 on it. A permanent marker is now being sought via donations.

Offline oversee

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
I have been told that the #15 block has been removed due to the fact the lot number is 71, but it is known know at present whether the correct lot number has been placed. There are bushes that prevent a car being driven close to the area that would scratch paint work. There is to be an approach to see if these can be removed.

Offline oversee

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:37:11 AM »
Grave marker designs, and the inscription is being looked into for Hacksaw. :-*

Offline oversee

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »

I am happy to announce that the donation drive for a grave marker for Richard "Hacksaw" Harney has been accomplished. Steve LaVere was asked to come up with the wording which he has, and has been of great help throughout the cause. Steve Salter says he still has many more grave markers in the works, and any donations for future stones would be fantastic.

Hopefully when the grave marker is in place, Blues fans can pay their respects as part of the continuing Mississippi Blues Trail.

Tags: Hacksaw Harney 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal