collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues ain't nothin' but a good woman on your mind - Mississippi John Hurt, See See Rider

Author Topic: Mance Lipscomb's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 20273 times)

Offline kinsuk

• Howdy!
Shine on Harvest Moon (Mance Lipscomb)
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
Hello Folks,

I have a question here before he starts playing the song i hear a riff which is very beautiful dont know how to play though and he says this is "[Riff] A chord young guitar picker and D i want you all to learn  ..... now we will leave A and come back to C  [Riff]" i hope this is what he says .

Now my question is what is he doing ?

From little i learned form Ted Greene's Book Chord Chemistry

1} -I feel it is the circle of 4ths so A maj D maj G maj And C maj  ?
2}- I feel it is circle of 5ths where he plays Amaj Emaj Bmaj F#maj C#maj G#maj D#maj Bbmaj Fmaj And C maj ?
3}- If it is circle of 4ths and 5ths is he only  paying plain maj chords or dominant chords or extensions like Badd9 , F#13th?
4}- If it is circle of 4ths and 5ths is he playing the 3 note of the maj chord in an arpeggiated way and if so is he using any extensions?
5}- If it is not that then is he playing licks combined with chords and if so then how to learn them ?
6}- Is he using a scales combined with chords
7}- If none of the above then what ?

I know these are a lot of questions but if i could get help i would be very grateful .

Thank You Sir.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:25:26 AM by kinsuk »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Shine on Harvest Moon (Mance Lipscomb)
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »
Hi kinsuk,
Once Mance establishes that he is returning to C, he plays a harmonized line in the treble, playing a melody on his first two strings and harmonizing with that melody using the interval of a sixth on the third and fourth strings.  He starts the line hitting the octave between the third fret of the fifth string and the first fret of the second string. Then he takes the melody up the second string third and fourth frets to the open first string, against which he harmonizes with the fourth string moving from the third to the fourth fret and then the open third string.  He then picks the third fret of the first string by itself. He concludes the melody in the treble, going from the first fret of the first string to the open first string, third fret of the second string, back to the first fret of the first string, then open first string, ending on the first fret of the second string.  He harmonizes with that portion of the line by picking the second fret of the third string, the open third string, the third fret of the fourth string, back to the second fret of the third string, the open third string, ending on the third fret of the fifth string.  He then plays a Lemon Jefferson-style bass run, going from third fret of the sixth string to the open fifth string, then walking down the sixth string from the third to the second to the first frets, resolving to the open sixth string, then playing an ascending bass run from third fret of the sixth string to the open fifth string, then the second and third frets of the fifth string.
What Mance plays doesn't really relate to circle of fifths progressions--it is more melodically conceived.  If you want to figure something like this out, and you know what key the person is playing in (Mance has said he is playing in C), the first thing to do is get in tune with the recording, so that your C sounds like his C.  Then just keep experimenting until you have found where the sounds that he is playing live on the neck.  Good luck with this.  You'll be excited when you figure out something like this on your own.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:21:42 PM by Johnm »

Offline kinsuk

• Howdy!
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
First of all thanks a ton  for your reply sir right now I am just about to finish learning few flamenco right hand moves and scales for which  i have borrowed a nylon guitar for the lessons i found on youtube which are from another professor, Ruben Diaz . I hope id be able to finish it soon  and put a video on youtube for him to check . Then id return to playing acoustic prolly, in less than a couple weeks ( the alzapua techniques on steel strings and picardo technique got my fingers a little off and dad also got a rare disease called pemphigoid but hes getting better now)
So I  havent been doing whatever you have told me to do earlier and since its been a few days now and you told me to :

1} - Read the book "i say me..." (which i got as a bday gift  ;D )
2}- Learn songs from his video Mance Lipscomb In Concert i dont know how i found the video  :-X

Another question sir Ted greene's 4 books Chord Chemistry, Modern Chord Progression and Jazz soloing vol 1 and 2 are good resources to start with is it ?
I have read Chord Chemistry so far
i have also found something about chord reference chart from the book chord chemistry if it is important and if needed ill share

Thank You .

p.s. i modify messages atleast 10 times
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:12:27 PM by kinsuk »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Hi kinsuk,
You don't need to send me anything, I'm glad to help.  The chord information is great to learn in a general sense, but will probably not be that applicable to learning Country Blues guitar, since for the most part, Country Blues uses a pretty simple chordal vocabulary, with the complexities in its phrasing and rhythm rather than its chords.  Best of luck with your studies.
All best,
Johnm

Offline kinsuk

• Howdy!
Re: Mance Lipscomb's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »
looking back i still cant believe i got a reply from professor john miller .. currently its been over 4 years no guitar playing i am working as a professional gamer for which i am spending about 16+hrs per day seems like forever but i hope itll be soon over so i can play guitar in peace thanks a ton prof
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:44:46 PM by kinsuk »

Tags: Mance Lipscomb 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal