collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She had this [barbecue pit] piled up full of hickory. She comes out with this two gallon can of gasoline & she up-ends this thing over the hickory... As she walks away from the pit she takes a kitchen match, strikes it on her butt, throws it over her shoulder, causes an explosion 30 feet into the air. Then she walked by and said: 'Be ready'n about an hour...' - Steve James, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: how would you pick this run??  (Read 2054 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
how would you pick this run??
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:56:40 AM »
Hey all - have a technical picking "how to" that I am hoping you can give advice on.  The context is a song I am working on I call the "Blakification Rag" where I am trying to really develop that jaunty Blake bounce.  My question is about a run.  .I have never been very good at more extended runs, in large part because my picking fingers get confused.  This song has a place where the run you can see in the JPG is just begging to be played.  The song is in C.  This run is in the bridge part, whose chord changes are:

E E A A D7 G G
E E A A D7 G D7 G (leads back in to C tonic in main verse)

The run is on the G bar between the two repetitions of the overall bridge phrase, and so runs from G (i.e. V) down to E (i.e. III).  I've tried to indicate the minimal notes as I currently see them.

Basically, I see two extremes in how to approach this.  This first to do it all with index and maybe some middle.  Almost like flatpicking the descending run, just using your finger.   This is my typical inclination.  The other extreme is to do the whole thing as an thumb-index alternation, basically continuing the picking pattern established in the first two beats.  Here, the thumb is moving up to the treble strings, and perhaps driving through more than one string. 

I feel like this is high-time I learn how to do runs like this.   What do you think?  How would Blake have done it?  How would Bo Carter have done it (it feels like him to me in this phrase)?   BTW, feel free to add any notes or additional fingerings to make it complete.  Thanks for your time and help!

(parenthetically, as another teaser, this was tabbed in the new program I am writing - hoping for prime time release early next year, but...)

tom

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: how would you pick this run??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 08:56:57 AM »
Hey Tom,
I would be inclined to use thumb and index, with the thumb always falling on the beat. I know Rev Gary used this technique and I found McTell uses it when I worked out Broke Down Engine. Fuller uses it, too. I haven't gotten deep enough into Blake to say how he would do it. This one looks pretty straight forward and there is only one spot where you would have to cross under with the index to move up to the next string, but that's just part of it and something you should learn. Actually, you'll love it when you get it as it will make all your runs much more crisp.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 02:03:22 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal