collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I thought, and still do think, that Lemon was a very good guitarist. Gary disagreed. (laughter) Gary started to play a very accurate pastiche of Lemon's Black Snake Moan, and Gary just opened his mouth and let out with this incredible blood curdling scream, and then he stops and says, "Man, he couldn't have sung no louder if someone was cutting his throat". He was merciless - Reverend Gary Davis, by Dave Van Ronk

Author Topic: Upcoming Country Blues Instruction  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Upcoming Country Blues Instruction
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Hello everybody.

Read a message by Stefan Grossman that these lessons will probably be out this autumn.

The Guitar of Frank Stokes
Mississippi Hill Country Blues Guitar

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
Re: Upcoming Country Blues Instruction
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Cool! Who will be teaching it?

I can't wait for Ari Eisinger's next lesson. It will focus on the 1935 recordings of Reverend Gary Davis. When I asked him about it he said it might feature a few other artists with a focus on Davis. I would love some more Blind Blake lessons from him as well.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 03:46:26 AM »
Cool! Who will be teaching it?

I think it's Tom Feldmann.

I would love some more Blind Blake lessons from him as well.

Eddie, are you aware of the excellent Woody Mann (DVD) lesson on Blind Blake. Combined with the Ari Eisinger lesson it will keep a guitar player busy for a very long time.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »
I have both those lessons. I love Ari Eisinger's Lesson on Blake. It really opened up Blake's style for me. I have been working on Southern Rag. Trying to get my own take on it like Ari does by throwing in some licks from Blind Aurthers Break Down, West Coast Blues, Seaboard Stomp etc. I still have much to learn from that DVD I just would love to see more from Ari on Blake....I know I'm getting greedy haha. I actually have both the DVD and audio lesson from Woody Mann on Blake. He does great with some songs but Diddie Wah Diddie I find he was pretty slack with. Black Dog blues on the DVD is quite different from the audio lesson. I find on the DVD Black Dog Blues is more of Woody's take on Blind Blake in C and in the audio lesson it's an actual transcription of the song. But still a massive amount of great learning in both of Woody's lessons.

I guess I have become some what of an Ari Eisinger fan boy hahaha, I have all his DVD lessons and guitar artistry DVD.  I'm going to order his two CDs once I get pay pal set up.

Im glad to hear Tom Feldmann is doing another lesson. I rather enjoy his lessons as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:06:42 PM by EddieD »

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
Also, I realized today I have bought many of these DVD lessons (90% as direct downloads) and I really only bought it for one or two songs. Some I just bought for the hell of it and have yet to learn a song from. I enjoy the performances of them all and the extras on some of them. But once I get a grasp on a players style I can pick a lot out by ear if I just take the time to do it. The other night was the first time in a while that I actually turned everything else off and just listened to songs and picked them out. I wanted to learn Rope Stretching Blues for a while and I have the tab for the break and was too lazy to pick out the rest until the other night....and it literally only took a few listens through the song. That being said I will still buy more in the future but I need to remember to sit down and work with my ears and my guitar more.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
Also, I realized today I have bought many of these DVD lessons (90% as direct downloads) and I really only bought it for one or two songs.

It could be an idea for the Guitar Workshop to offer download lessons per song instead of a complete DVD. In this way only buying the songs you're really interested in.

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
For digital download you can get single songs for a lot of them. I usually buy the whole thing anyway haha

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »
For digital download you can get single songs for a lot of them. I usually buy the whole thing anyway haha

Indeed you can, but yeah only for a limited amount of DVD lessons

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »
The Guitar Of Frank Stokes is out now

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »
Mississippi Hill Country Blues Guitar is out now

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Women Country Blues Guitarists (Memphis Minnie, Matty Delaney, Geeshie Willie, Elvie Thomas) taught by Erin Harpe is coming up.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 02:40:29 AM »
Women of the Country Blues Guitar is out

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:02 AM »
Before The Blues - Early American Fingerstyle Guitar is out now

Tags:

anything