collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wouldn't you know that fellow'd get get somewhere like that. He came into Greenville when I was home on leave and he gives a dance, There were posters up and everything about him being Blind Boy number two. The people there wouldn't let me go until I got and played a number and the last time I saw Brownie after I played my number was him walking out the door and going to catch a bus out of town. - Baby Tate speaking of Brownie McGhee, from the liner notes to "The Blues of Baby Tate, See What You Done Done" Bluesville # 1072

Author Topic: Lane Hardin's Hard time blues  (Read 2815 times)

Offline ryan

Lane Hardin's Hard time blues
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:42:48 AM »
I came across this artist last week.  You know when you hear something and it makes you stop dead in your tracks.  Maybe because I have a lot going on right now but this song just hit me right.  His voice brought a tear to the surface.  For me personally this is my favorite discovery I have found in awhile.  I was glad to see it on the juke as I haven't heard the second cut yet.  Does he have any other known recordings besides the other one on the juke?  I could only find those on the document website.  Ah yeah!! Twofer Tuesday. my request is next~

Offline ryan

Re: Lane Hardin's Hard time blues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »
Okay so I love twofer tuesdays on the juke now.  California desert blues was an amazing title as well.  I am surprised I haven't heard more talk about this guy.  IMO he ranks up there with the best of them.  Definately my favorite vocalist I have heard in a long time.  His slide playing is beautiful too.

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »
Joe Bussard played it for me at his house but I forgot to ask him to play the other side! One of the best country blues songs ever.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:11:39 AM »
Ryan, for info on other Lane Hardin recordings, check the Forum thread here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=83&topic=163.30 

I'd recommend requesting Henry Spaulding's Cairo Blues, which is very much in the same vein.  You'll get his only other recording, Biddle Street Blues, as well if you request today.

Offline ryan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »
I agree with you as "one of the best blues songs ever".  What a great way to hear it at Joe's house!!  I'd love to treat him out to lunch and hear some of his stories. The tv was on in the background and I had no idea what was on in the other room.  All of a sudden I heard this song and I came out and the documentary on Joe was on.   I missed it if he said the title of the song but I made a mental note of the lyrics and tracked down that it was Lane Hardin on the Document website.  Looks like I have to order yet another cd~

Offline ryan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:15:58 AM »
I love Henry Spaulding too!!  He is great.  I only have Cairo blues on the American Primitive vol II cd. I haven't heard the other track you mentioned.  I will request it right now.  Thanks

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:28:18 AM »
California Desert Blues (1935) is side two of the recording, I think. By the way, elsewhere on this site you can download John Miller's audio lesson of  Hard Time Blues. Highly recommended. I've been working on it for more than a year and one day it'll be ready for an outing. Not yet though!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:38:08 AM »
Gee, how did I forget to mention John Miller's lesson of Hard Time Blues?  One of my favorites.  I couldn't play anything else for two weeks when I got that lesson.  If you're a player, I highly recommend it!

Offline ryan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »
I am spoiled in that I live in Seattle so I study with John once a week.  I will be requesting to learn that next lesson.  Have a good week~

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 07:05:52 AM »
I guess the reference in this thread to the Joe Bussard TV programme is to the Australian documentary called "Desperate Man Blues".  I have this on DVD (bought from Red Lick Records here in the UK) and it is one of the most fascinating programmes I have ever seen.  Everyone who sees the DVD is totally transfixed by it - even people who are not country blues fans.

It's worth the cost of the DVD for the first few minutes which shows Joe jigging about to a Kokomo Arnold 78.  The extras on the DVD are amazing as well - you'd never believe how he cleans his priceless old records!

I recommend this to all Weenies.

When my copy arrived in the post, my daughter asked "What's your DVD about, Dad?"  I replied ,"It's about a man who collects 78 records."  To which she replied in complete innocence, and knowing my record-buying habits, "That's not many!"

:D
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

boots

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »
When my copy arrived in the post, my daughter asked "What's your DVD about, Dad?"  I replied ,"It's about a man who collects 78 records."  To which she replied in complete innocence, and knowing my record-buying habits, "That's not many!"

:D

You can't buy it.  8)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
I don't know about the States, but a friend has the DVD on order from Red Lick Records who are awaiting stocks from Australia.  Might be worth trying with Red Lick (www.redlick.com).

Good luck.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline ryan

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
you can buy the dvd and the soundtrack here:
http://www.desperatemanblues.com/

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Desperate Man Blues
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
you can buy the dvd and the soundtrack here:
http://www.desperatemanblues.com/

A warning though, that the DVD is in PAL format, and so North American weenies would likely have trouble viewing it (usually it's the other way around!). I hope they come out with an NTSC version as I would really like to have this.

Offline Chun

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 03:36:47 PM »
Someone told me there was a wawy to convert or somehow enable a DVD player to play PAL formatted DVDs. Does anyone have the slightest idea? Im sure that many of us here would love toknow so we could see this DVD

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal