collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
People is raving 'bout hard times, I don't know why they should. If some people was like me, they didn't have no money when times was good. - Lonnie Johnson, Hard Times Ain't Gone No Where

Author Topic: William Brown "Ragged and Dirty"  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
William Brown "Ragged and Dirty"
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Say, Weenies:

I  am unable to locate my mp3's, WMP or itunes files of this tune, and wondered if one of you had a saved copy  somewhere and could attach it to this reply/post to send it along. I have been playing along with Steve James' version (from an earlier CD of his), but want to go back to this original one, which I played along with for years. The rhythym and feeling are so different.

Thanks,
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: William Brown "Ragged and Dirty"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:28:16 PM »
Hey Buzz, sorry, but we don't allow the swapping of files through the forum.  We have limited disk space and we limit file size to 800K or so.  We limit files to educational intent for the broader community as we do not want to be perceived as a P2P file sharing service for individuals.

Thanks for your understanding.  :)

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
Re: William Brown "Ragged and Dirty"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »
800KB. Got it. Glad you pointed it out.

Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline craigmulcahy

Ragged and Dirty help......--Willie Brown
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
Hello all at weenie Campbell,

This is my first post,

don't be to harsh on me.....eek..

I am currently working on Ragged and dirty by Willie Brown,
i have the Stefan grossman tab for the song, but it is only for the break, i can play all this pretty well now, but i am struggling to work out the verse part/song structure by myself, I'm afraid i am still developing my 'learn by ear' skills,

it is very frustrating, as i know i can't be to far off. and I've listened to the song a million times. ha ha.

any help/advice very much appreciated 

Craig.  :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:37:02 AM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Ragged and Dirty help......
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
Hey Craig,

Welcome to Weenie Campbell. I think once you've been here for a while you'll find we aren't harsh on anyone, nubie or otherwise. We try to encourage everyone to follow their own instincts and approach in order to create more diversity.

I would say most people who play and sing this song just play the vocal backing pretty much the same as Stefan's transcription of the break, myself included. Listening closely I would say that William lets go of a few of the little flourishes and plays more strictly the melody right in line with his vocal, including slight syncopation, perhaps, and maybe letting go of the bass a bit. All his response lick variations seem to fall right in line with the ones in the break.

Good luck putting together the vocal with the backing. I hope this helps.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline craigmulcahy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »
hey, thanks alot,

yeah i kinda thought at first that it was the same but as i got going with it i got unsure,

i've been trying to work out if the song actually starts after the intro, on the second bar of the tab? not on the first beat, but on the second? i guess this won't make any sense if you don't have the tab right there.

and after the D, does it go into the lick at the end of the first C7 section in the break tab? then back into the main G7 riff?

i'm thinking that is right, but unsure.

thanks for the response. :)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I can't remember the song offhand which is not a lot of help  :-\ but, welcome to the site I'm sure somebody will eventually chime in  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
i'm sorry to confess that i don't actually have a copy of the original in my collection...  i've heard it but it's been a while.  i don't know how close this is to the original, but here's a good youtube cover (sans vocals).  i always prefer looking at fingers to looking at tab...  an' yeah...  welcome!

Offline craigmulcahy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »
hi guys, thanks for the response,

i have seen this video, and it is partly what let to the confusion, but, i basted away at it all night and i think i'm finally getting there....:)

pretty sure i've got it all worked out, just got to get it a bit smother, then the vocals.......

thanks again!

Craig.

Offline alyoung

William Brown's Ragged & Dirty tuning
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 04:28:51 AM »
A couple of nights ago, I listened to William Brown's "Ragged and Dirty" for the first time in ages. Two things struck me -- one,  it's still a lovely piece, and two ... to my ear, he's not playing in standard-tuning G shapes (as I suspect most of us who play the piece learned it), but in Spanish (open G) tuning, or possibly "half-Spanish"  (DGDGBE). I'm getting it to work quite well -- I think I'm going to settle on straight Spanish, rather than half-Spanish -- but I'd be interested to discover what the WC ears hear. A YouTube clip is at . Put a clamp on at the 7th fret, play along and see what you think.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: William Brown's Ragged & Dirty tuning
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:14 AM »
I hear the open 1st string sounding as the major 3rd of the IV chord (preceded by a little squeeze on the 4th fret of the 2nd string, creating a near unison moment), so that would appear to me to rule out spanish.

Getting the root note of the IV chord and playing the IV licks is pretty simple in standard tuning...  playing the same lick in half spanish, it would make more sense to me to avoid the root note of the IV, which the player does not... and the V chord sounds to me to clearly be a 1st position D shape. Both of those together suggest std tuning.

If the question is how to get closest to the recording, then I'd suggest std tuning is your answer. On the other hand, recasting it in another tuning would probably very pleasing results...  on occasion, one must cultivate a healthy disrespect for the source. ymmv, of course.

Tags: William Brown 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal