collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Can't you imagine how I feel now, I done told my real milk cow bye-bye - Freddie Spruell, Milk Cow Blues

Author Topic: C.Bruno & Sons. Video demo clip!  (Read 2829 times)

Offline harriet

Re: C.Bruno & Sons. Video demo clip!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »
I love the sound of that, thanks for posting.

I'm not an expert or anything but also wanted to add that I like the floating bridge system as well. I like to play slide on sears catalogue guitars, Slivertone, Kay Stella, etc and it makes it really easy to adjust intonation.

And easy to replace if the saddle fails. I replaced a glued down bridge myself recently as the luthier who agreed to dupe the original saddle was elusive. Wasn't real happy to do it :-\ and wouldn't buy another with that kind of bridge.

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Hi,Bruno,were a NY Distribution company selling all types of musical instruments from the lowest to the best.They are reputed to have distributed Larsons.The best guitar I ever owned  carried the black Bruno label,and like a fool I sold it.At the time I owned it,I also owned a vintage Martin and Larson,and the Bruno was the best of the three.I always thought mine was a Boston made guitar.
Looks to me,like yours is a Regal,it doesn't have the Harmony headstock,and if it was a Stella,you would know it.
However,there were dozens of makers knocking out regal and stella look alikes.
They're all worth getting, if cheap,if no good for standard playing,they all tend to sound good with slide.And yes,you are right, cross braces are for whimps.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
Bed Bug Bill .. It's not a Regal-made guitar.  Earlier in the thread John confirmed that it's an Oscar Schmidt-made guitar, the square kerfing to attach the top to the sides gives it away, plus the type of sound hole rings and overall shape. 

Bottleneck John:  to answer your question from last year, this guitar dates from the late teens into the 20s.  By the 30s, they were mostly birch and appointed with decals and a different headstock shape.

Tom

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »
 Sorry !.....didn't see that post.If top and bottom linnings are different ,then it's a Stella.There should also be a very pronounced ,obvious curve to the side,at roughly the bridge position,making the area below the bridge the deepest area of the body.Larson did the same,it is not known who copied who,or if it some older practice.If it's a Stella,it should sound /feel different than the other cheap guitars,they have a certain air about them....feel robust.That's why they were preferred.
I stand corrected.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal