collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...in a car wreck in a little town called Mound Bayou Miss. I was visiting my mother. I drove 700 miles from Chicago. I was okay but on the return I fell asleep at the wheel. I was playing again the next day though. I never gave up. It cut my arm clean off and left it in the highway. Then I walked 2.5 miles to a girlfriend and picked up my arm and brought it on to Clarksdale. When the ambulance men come with stretchers, I was in bed smoking, so I drove back in front with the guys. I was in hospital for three days only. For a while I still had pain at night. As you know, fever rises at night and that's how it was - Big John Wrencher on losing his arm

Author Topic: Any Suggestions For New Mid-Price Guitar??  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Doug

Re: Any Suggestions For New Mid-Price Guitar??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 07:59:16 AM »
I would definitely recommend playing a few guitars of the kind you're thinking of before buying...  A trip into a music store with a good selection of guitars is worth the time and money, just to sample the differences that are out there.  Buying on-line is fine, if you know what you're buying, but (at least to me) a guitar that "fits" is such a personal thing, that I'm not sure I would be happy buying on someone else's recommendations.  (On the other hand, I did blindly buy a resonator off of e-bay, and I like it, but I wasn't real picky...)

I bought my latest guitar in September, and I went down to Vancouver (BC, Canada),  where the music store had a room full of Larrivee's.  I played lots of them (mostly without considering the price tags), and they were nice guitars, but I didn't think there was anything special there.  They just didn't click with me.  I went into another room, and tried out some Martins and Taylors, and found something that suited me and that I fell in love with.  (It's not a bluesy guitar, but it's a sweet one...  It was a nylon-stringed Taylor)

That's not to say Larrivee doesn't build good guitars.  They do.  But I would definitely try a few of them before you rush out and buy one -- both to see if they build a good guitar for you, and to see which of their good guitars best suits you.

Just my two cents,

Doug

PiedmontBlues

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 11:09:51 AM »
Hello Blue in VT,

Great advice on this thread. Now, regarding 12 vs. 14 frets... I'd go for the 14 frets because a 14 fret guitar will give you more options. For example, if you ever need to play that far up the neck, having 2 extra frets is very convenient. Also, and more importantly, if you want to sing while you play, having the extra frets gives you more options for capoing the guitar to match your voice without making it sound like a banjo. But, of course, you've got to go with something that really feels and sounds right for you.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 10:20:50 AM »
Weenies,

Well I've been poking around here without a whole lot of luck but I think I'm narrowing things down.  My goal will be either a 000 or 0M size guitar with a 14 fret neck (thanks for your input on this Piedmont) hopefully made of solid wood throughout.  I'll be poking around for a used one here and watching the online market places as well.

One quick question about the OM's is the fretboard slightly wider on these?  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  what do youa'll think

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
Hi Blue:

As it sounds like you are going to be looking for a used guitar--and perhaps not playing it first, I would recommend that you heed the old saying, "One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions." Try to play a few new ones, find the one that feels the best to YOUR HANDS, measure the neck at the nut, and makes sure that when you buy one it matches the specs. There are always possible variations, so it is best to make sure that you get what is right for you.

I like the wider neck--but I'm not going to be playing your guitar full time.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 11:19:50 AM »
Weenies-

I thought I would give youa'll a quick update on my search for a new axe.  I've been to a few shops and played a few guitars and now have a slightly better idea of where I'm headed.  I most recently played a couple of the 15 series Martins and particularly liked the 000-15.  The shorter scale and smaller body made it an amazingly comfortable box to play...when compared to my dread...I liked the sound too...quite mellow and not as boomy as my Alvarez.  I also tried the j-15...it had a 1 3/4 in neck width at the nut which I really liked.  The body of the guitar was a bit large for me taste though still more comfortable than what I've got.

I also played several Taylors 314 and 414...I was unable to get my hands on a 214...which is the one I can afford but it was good to get an Idea of what they were like.  I liked it alot but not convinced...they are beautiful though.

I still haven't had the chance to put my hands on a Larrivee...I would like to try the OM-03 and -03R and maybe a parlor just to see what the little guys are like.  The flamed maple ones that have been on ebay recently sure are pretty.  Right now there is a guitar on ebay that I think would be my dream box.  it is a Larrivee OM-SH, a 14 fret OM with a slothead (I just like the look) but as the starting bid as $1000 it is a bit beyond my means.  I believe this was a custom piece and I'm not likely to see it again anytime soon...oh well.

The hunt continues...

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 05:22:23 PM »
...hey, thanks for the update, always interesting to see how folks figure the 'perfect guitar' thing out ... I know for me my tastes have changed over the years ... do you live near any large cities that host a regional or national vintage guitar show?  ...you could check on the vintage guitar website for shows ... if you can get to a vintage show, you'll see and play all those guitars you mentioned, plus, many wonderful and exciting vintage guitars, some in your price range ... only down side of this approach is the inability to really hear the guitar you're playing in a large, noisy hall ... keep us posted...

apitt

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 07:57:18 AM »
Hey there. I'm a fellow Vermonter (Montpelier),and I play and teach fingerstyle  guitar(Gary Davis, Blind Blake...).
I have helped find guitars for my students and friends. One should not overlook the Martin Mahogany topped  00017 or OM17 (15 &16s too). If you find one used ($500 -$700) they give a really good bang for the buck.  Larivee makes a fine guitar.(Guitar Sam in Montpelier carries Larivee). I play guitars from the 30's and think that the Martins come closer than the Larivees in tone and feel.
Although I teach, I want to recommend  a teacher that is not too far from you. Paul Asbell teaches in Burlington and can play and teach any style. Check out his site (www.busyhands.com).  He's absolutely terrific. As a matter of fact I heard Juke playing a cut from his album the other day. f you have any questions you can contact me at pittgit@verizon.net   Good Luck -Andy Pitt

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 08:09:52 AM »
Welcome to WeenieCampbell, Andy!

edited to add: I believe Paul Asbell's site is www.paulasbell.com.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:34:52 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 08:50:06 AM »
I believe Paul Asbell's site is www.paulasbell.com.

Just look at the guitars this guy owns.  I got confused trying to count 'em all, but it looks like at least 15 acoustics (I didn't get as far as the electrics) that many players would starve to own just one of.  A fine example of GAS if ever I saw one!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the continued advice...its great to know that there are at least a couple of other people around here (VT) who are into Country Blues as well.  Also great to know a couple of instructors...I need one. 

Asbell's sight is great and his list of guitars makes me a little sad...I'm scrounging to get just one...well more power to Him!!!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 08:09:22 AM »
I'm heading down to Saratoga Springs NY this weekend to visit the inlaws.  There seems to be several places down there in the capital district that carry Larrivee and Martin...so if I can convince the wife that I need to go to a few I hope to have had some hands on experience to report back on by Monday

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »
Bad news...

The nasty storm that blew through here on Friday knocked out power in much of the Saratoga area so I was unable to go there and play with all the guitars...oh yeah and couldn't visit the inlaws either.... ;D

maybe next weekend

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 06:44:43 AM »
Howdy,

Guitar hunt update...the search continues.  I made it down to Saratoga Springs and was able to get my hands on a couple of the guitars I'm thinking of...or at least ones in the same family.  I finally got to play several Larrivee's and they are fantastic.  I played an OM-03r which I really liked...it was comfortable...excellent tone...and really pretty to look at too...always a nice bonus.  I also plyed a LV-03E...which I thought was alittle too thick for my liking...sounded nice...I wouldn't be looking for a pickup or a cut out...but it was nice to handle one to get a feel for what everyone was talking about.  I also played a small hog parlor...which I have to say I reaaly liked...it put out a tremendous amount of noise for such a small guitar...that said...as I don't see myself haveing a whole stable full of guitars I' leaning toward the OM as a better all purpose box.  Maybe a Parlor in the future for a travel/couch model.

So...Conclusions...in the past i really liked the the all mahog Martins (000-15 and D15s)that I played but I like the 1 3/4in neck of the larrivee OM's.  Therefore I think I'm going to try to find the middle ground with a used OM-05MT...failing that I'll probably grab an OM-03R.  then a parlor in the future...when the wife forgets how much I spent on this one.

what do you'll think...anyone out there have an all hog Larri that they can tell me about?

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 09:17:58 AM »
Hey Blue

I grew up in the capital district & I live in CT now

There is a really nice place in Troy, NY... Cathedral Music.... they carry mid level and nice upper end guitars.... www.cathedralmusic.com

you can also cross over the border into Vermont and check out a decent guitar shop in Brattleboro.... Maple Leaf Music

www.mapleleafmusic.com

Dave
Looking for a store that carries resonator guitars that doesn't require a 3 hour drive to NYC, etc

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 12:04:34 PM »
Howdy all,

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a guitar.!!!  While last I posted I was looking for a used LArrivee OM-05mt...unfortunatly I was unable to find one...no one wants to get rid of one of these beauties.  So....I ....blew my budget and bought a new one.  This is proably the only nice guitar that I will have for many years so I decided to go for it.  The all Mahogany guitar has a wonderful sound...very mellow but very rich and funky.  Not the bright sparkling sound of the spruce toped 05...which I think is great for the blues.  I love the smaller body size...soooo much more comfortable ( than my old dread) and a real pleasure to look at.  I'm not sure about the Elixer Nanos that came on it but I have a set of John Pearse lights that are ready to go on as soon as these die.

So the hunt has ended...many you can really get caught up in the chase of the perfect instrumrnt eh?  It will be nice to get back the root of it all....playing the Blues

Thank you all for all the input it was a great help. 

Here are a couple of Pics too

Blue in VT

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blue in VT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal