collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'd rather be the devil, than to be that woman's man - Skip James, Devil Got My Woman

Author Topic: Geoff Muldaur and Sleepy John Estes  (Read 2667 times)

iplayamartin0016

Geoff Muldaur and Sleepy John Estes
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »
Last week I saw Geoff Muldaur put on an awesome show.  He did a bunch of blues songs and a fantastic version of Drop Down Mama.  Before he played it he criticized Bob Dylan for recording Someday Baby on his newest cd and giving himself  credit for it instead of Estes.  He said Estes had a couple of sons who could use the money.

If you get a chance to see Geoff, do so.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline rjtwangs

Re: Geoff Muldaur and Sleepy John Estes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »

Geoff is one of my all time faves, here he does the great song 'Got To Find Blind Lemon'

RJ

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
You know the date on this RJ? Has a bit of a "Up on Cypress Avenue"  Astral Weeks Van Morrison-ish feel with a slight hint of James Taylorish style guitar flourishes (some folks like 'em, but I ain't one of 'em, JT guitar flourishes I mean). Makes me think its early-mid seventies vintage?
I recently heard a cut from Geoff's Bix Biderbecke album where his singing was spooky good.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »
I think this Blind Lemon Part 1 is fairly recent, from the past 5 years, maybe even from the past one or 2.  Geoff is singing and playing even better than ever, I think.  About a month ago, I was honored that he asked me to play fiddle  on a Mississippi Sheiks session with him plus very amazing Austin players Steve Bruton, Cindy Cashdollar, Jimmy Nicholas and Bruce Hughes) and I finally got to hear one of the songs.  It is fantastic, probably the best recording I have ever gotten to play on. I hope it will turn up on that Mississippi Sheiks tribute album that's being put out in Canada, but if not there I hope it will eventually turn up on a Geoff Muldaur CD someday. He has a wonderful genius for making the old songs his own while never losing the essence of what made these songs great to begin with.

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:39:14 AM »

Mr. O'Muck I believe the date is December 15, 2007. I love Geoff and I think he is an amazing player, his arrangements are very sophisticated. I highly recommend his Homespun DVD. Mr. O'Muck I sure don't hear any James Taylorism's, maybe it's Geoff's gentle, almost Mississippi John Hurt like touch. I really love to hear him play and sing.

RJ

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:12:36 AM »
I think Geoff's great, but all kinds of influences penetrate into our un-submarine consciousness when we're not looking. We all got em. Just my particular quirk o' preference. The particular turnaround riff I'm hearing was fairly common in the early seventies and was not a MJH derived thing. But this is all angels dancing on the blackhead of a pin stuck in a voodoo doll of a warner bros record exec. Micro-potatoes.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »
angels dancing on the blackhead of a pin stuck in a voodoo doll of a warner bros record exec

I don't know what it means but it sounds cool!!

RJ

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:57 AM »

I don't know what it means but it sounds cool!!

RJ

That's as maybe.  I used to find the picture of the sweet little guitar cool, but I'm not too sure about the latest version....
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
Well PPicker you have deeply hurt my feelings, My girlfriend thinks that picture of me was cute, but alas... I hope you like my current photo, the back of the headstock of my 1929 00-18 Martin...

Hurt but healing,

RJ

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 02:11:18 AM »
Well PPicker you have deeply hurt my feelings, My girlfriend thinks that picture of me was cute, but alas... I hope you like my current photo, the back of the headstock of my 1929 00-18 Martin...

Hurt but healing,

RJ

No offence intended Rick!  I hope you realise it was a joke.  But we old guitar pickers prefer to look at pictures of nice guitars rather than gentlemen of a certain age.  What about a picture of your girlfriend??   ;D
Barbecue Bob

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »

PP certainly no offense taken, I know you're simply envious, after all, I AM the original "brown eyed handsome man"!!! AND IF you're really nice to me I just MIGHT put up a picture of my girlfriend...

Rick

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 01:17:02 AM »

PP certainly no offense taken, I know you're simply envious, after all, I AM the original "brown eyed handsome man"!!! AND IF you're really nice to me I just MIGHT put up a picture of my girlfriend...

Rick

I always knew you were handsome - grovel, grovel.  How about a pic of your girlfriend with one of those nice Greven guitars?   >:D
Barbecue Bob

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 11:28:28 AM »
Maybe...

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal