collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You got some dirty people in all walks of life. Look at the politicians and people like that. Look at the things they have to cover up and sweep under the rug, and why in the hell should a musician be any better? - Johnny Shines, in Sounds Good To Me by Barry Lee Pearson

Author Topic: Slide guitar problem - help!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Steve Pajik

Slide guitar problem - help!
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
Hi, y'all!

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've started to get a little bit more into playing slide on my acoustic, but I've noticed something kind of annoying: there are these weird harmonics on the top two strings (high E and B) whenever I play slide. (I call them "harmonics", but I'm not sure if that's the correct term.) This phenomenon doesn't occur on the wound strings, however.

For example, if I have the slide at the 12th fret on the E or B string, pick the string, and then slide down to, say, the 5th fret, there's a discordant harmonic that sounds underneath the primary note (but it's still annoyingly noticeable!). As the primary note goes down in pitch - as you'd expect! - the annoying harmonic starts off low and goes up in pitch. It also works the other way: if I start at 5th fret and go to 12th, the primary note ascends while the harmonic descends. I hate it!  >:(

I've tried a few types of slides: glass (3 different thicknesses), ceramic, brass, and chrome. I use light gauge strings on my primary guitar, but the exact same thing happens on my other acoustic guitar, and it has slightly heavier gauge strings.

Is this phenomenon common??!! I apologize if it is, but on the Internet, I can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same thing!! Is there any way around this? Would heavier gauge strings help? Old, deader strings?

Thanks for any and all help!  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:43:31 PM by Deaf Steever »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Slide guitar problem - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
You're hearing the note on the other side of the slide, and as far as I know there's only one thing you can do about it.

You need to mute behind the slide. Let your index finger rest lightly against the strings behind the slide. You have to be careful not to press down too hard or you'll create a problem by pulling the string away from the slide. Take a look at Booker White on YouTube playing "Aberdeen," for instance, and watch his left index finger when he slides up.

Hope that helps!
Chris

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »
Interessin'

I was watching our side player tonight and wondering why he sometimes put another finger in behind the slide thinking it would dampen the string. Seems like he had a fiendish plan the whole time!

Offline Steve Pajik

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »
You're hearing the note on the other side of the slide, and as far as I know there's only one thing you can do about it.

You need to mute behind the slide. Let your index finger rest lightly against the strings behind the slide. You have to be careful not to press down too hard or you'll create a problem by pulling the string away from the slide. Take a look at Booker White on YouTube playing "Aberdeen," for instance, and watch his left index finger when he slides up.

Hope that helps!
Chris

Who would have guessed it was a matter of technique?! I'd much rather blame my equipment!  :D But seriously, thanks for the tip. I was just foolin' around, playing like you said, and it's like night and day. Sounds great now! Well, actually, I still have quite a ways to go with my slide skills - but at least the extra noises have been eliminated!  :)

Thanks a million!

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Glad that helped!
Chris

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal