collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Next time I marry, I'm gonna marry good. I'm gonna get me somebody don't know a thing about this world - Tony Hollins, Married Woman

Author Topic: Jugs  (Read 4769 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Jugs
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 07:30:05 AM »
I came across a link to this in going through some email. Instructional youtube video on jug playing. There are several parts.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Simon, whatever happened to your attempts at jug blowing? Perhaps we'll hear something at Euroweenie.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 06:10:56 AM »
Simon, whatever happened to your attempts at jug blowing? Perhaps we'll hear something at Euroweenie.

Let's have a jug band - Bobalong knows some great jug band songs. Bags I play ukulele (sorry Ghostrider!).
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Shovel

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I've always been more of a leg man, tbh.  But to each his own.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »
A cp fan, eh   :-X

Is Graham T out there somewhere, I expect he would lend me his banjo. With this in mind I actually dusted orff mine yesterday and was delighted at how awful I could make it sound. I also have kazzzoooooooo  :P  Old blueshome will be be blue with envy at the talent.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
My attempts have rather tailed off Phil... 

They never really got far beyond a (very) late night session with Harvey in Northampton, attempting Prison Wall Blues as a guitar / banjo duet, trying to blow the jug at the same time as playing guitar and bits of singing.  I dont think we actually got all the way through the song without it coming apart amidst fits of laughter...

One of the posts in this thread was notable- the suggestion about the need for a deep vocal tone to get the best out of a jug.  I think there might be something in that as I obviously dont have a particularly deep or booming voice.  Its very difficult to tell what sort of sound you are actually getting from a jug when playing it so im not sure whether I ever got a decent sound out of it or not.

We have finally moved into our new house properly.  The jug is somewhere amidst many boxes.  It ought to emerge from one of them by April :-)

Offline Shovel

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
A cp fan, eh   :-X

oh man i just googled and evidently cp stands for something else besides charlie patton ..  something more sinister :o
i guess i could take comfort in the fact that of the two of us, i was the one that didnt know that.    :-*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:59:43 PM by cpfan »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 06:44:06 AM »
is this the only picture of Gus Cannon's Jug? I seem to remember seeing another one but am likely mistaken.

Does anyone know what it would have originally been used for?

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »

Cannon's jug was a metal, oil can.
 They turn up occasionally on EBay

They're a much lighter weight than a ceramic jug, which allowed him to wear it around his neck in a holder

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
Thanks Mike - that's what i thought - i just seem to remember seeing a picture of him with an oil can with an angled pouring spout rather than the conical screw top lid in this pic. I read somewhere that he still had the jug in the 60s and was proud of it, so i am surprised i can't find a later pic of it.

And yes - it was trying to find an item like the one pictured on ebay that prompted the question in the first place!  ;)

Tags: jug instruction 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal