collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues is not a plaything like some people think they are. Like youngsters today, right now they take anything and make the blues out of it. Just any little ol junk something or other and say this is the such and such a blues. NO IT'S NOT. Ain't but ONE kind of blues, and that consists between male and female what's in love. In love. Male and Female - Son House

Author Topic: New Paul Rishell and Annie Raines CD in September  (Read 2565 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New Paul Rishell and Annie Raines CD in September
« on: August 24, 2004, 12:39:15 PM »
Annie posts the good news:

We have recently completed work on a new CD. It is called "Goin' Home" and will be released on Tone-Cool/Artemis on September 21. Featuring eleven gems recorded in the studio and two live tracks.

Track listing:

1) Hunkie Tunkie Blues
2) You've Got it Made
3) I Had a Good Mother and Father
4) I'm Goin' Home
5) It Ain't Right
6) Candy
7) Memphis Town
8) Black Horse Blues
9) Black Eye Blues
10) Ragtime Millionaire
11) Custard Pie
12) Some of These Days - live!
13) Lookin' Good - live!

Offline Reso1

Re: New Paul Rishell and Annie Raines CD in September
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 06:12:20 PM »
Greatt!!! Now lets work to get them back to PT in 2005!!!

Lee
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »
Anyone heard this yet? It's out, though still an import/special order in Canada.

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm headed to Texas tomorrow, and will probably find time to pick up a copy at one of the CD emporiums there. Looks like a good'un.
UB - will be headed your way (via the nation's capital) on the 16th, then onward to PQ early in the week following. Once we get our logistics sorted out, I'lllet you know our plans for your fair city.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 10:31:53 AM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Yves

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »
Available at Tone Cool... just ordered I'll keep informed guys !
Yves

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 08:52:56 AM »
I'm a new member here--I found a post I can respond to--

I've been listening to "Goin Home" for a few days, and I'm finding several cuts that I really like, namely "I Had a Real Good Mother and Father," BLJ's "Black Horse Blues," and especially the last two cuts, a live version of "Some of These Days" and "Lookin Good" with some blistering harmonica playing--these two are worth the price of the CD.  The other cuts, mosty band cuts, are equally good, but I always seem to favor the solo guitar style of the first half of "Blues on a Holiday" and the guitar and harmonica duets of some of their other CDs--that pure duo sound of front porch blues. 

I've been a huge fan of Paul, and Annie, since I heard two cuts from "Blues...Holiday" on the radio several years ago.  "Louise" is stil one of my favorite songs to play. I liked ithe CD so much that I contacted Paul and found out that his mother lived in Cocoa, FL, near where I lived.  Once when he came to FL to visit his mom, ('92?) he called, and on a Sunday afternoon, he came over, with Leslie and Vanessa.  I pulled out my guitars, and we spent the afternoon swapping songs and drinking Earl Grey tea.  Pretty unforgettable afternoon for me!  What a talented, down to earth, and gracious man he is.  I don't think I've ever met anyone more enthusiastic about spreading the passion for country blues . 

Anyway, their new CD is definitely worth getting, I just wish it had a few more guitar and harmonica duets.

Jeff

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 03:40:46 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Paul and Annie have been to the Port Townsend workshop several times (twice in recent years) and they are a favorite.  Paul is a great teacher and can cover an amazing number of classic country blues tunes in one class sitting... and do it in a comprehensible way - he really gives you your 'moneys worth'. It has also interesting and impressive to watch Annie's musical growth under Pauls tutelage - she has made great strides in her playing and singing.  Ah, yet another CD to pick up.

Welcome to Weeniecampbell!

Cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 08:28:22 PM »
I'm with you, Jeff, on preferring their duet stuff. That said, I'm not a big fan of electric/band stuff in general but enjoy Paul and Annie's electric material quite a bit. I don't have the record yet, but look forward to getting it. Thanks for the review.

Welcome to the board!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 11:33:18 AM »
I notice Paul and Annie's website has been updated. Some new reviews (including one that mentions prosthetic surgery on Paul's ear which seems to have corrected the problem he was having). Also a lessons section with some Quicktime sample files of Paul playing and teaching Blind Lemon's Black Horse Blues. On a wood guitar no less.  :o

http://paulandannie.com/lessons.php

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
Anyone looking for a refresher on Paul Rishell's take of "Black Horse Blues" can listen to Track 8 on: "GOIN' HOME", which is the latest release from Paul Rishell and Annie Raines on Artemis Records.

Off topic, but I want to say this is a great album. Although there is some electric blues mixed in, Paul covers several gospel pieces that are my favorites among all the tracks - Some of These Days (I'll be Gone) -live! (Charley Patton, arrangement by Paul Rishell),? Had A Good Mother and Father? (Washington Phillips) and I'm Goin' Home? (Charley Patton). There are also pretty nice renderings of Hunkie Tunkie Blues (Charlie Jordan, with additional music by Rishell/Raines), Ragtime Millionaire (William Moore), and Custard Pie? (Fulton Allen). So it's not hard to see why I liked this album.

The FrontPage recommendation - BUY! and help Weenie along by using a link for this web site. For more info, look here:
http://www.paulandannie.com/goinghome.php
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:00:56 AM by Johnm »
Cheers,
FrontPage

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal