collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never had a man, black or white, kiss me dead on the mouth before, but that's what he done. He say 'Lord, man, you done 100 percent. I've been on this job 35 years and I never seen a man do what you done in 2 days' - Bukka White, on Lester Melrose's reaction to his having written 12 new songs, Chicago, March 1940

Author Topic: Worlds of Sound: The story of Smithsonian Folkways  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Worlds of Sound: The story of Smithsonian Folkways
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:17 PM »
...I am sitting here with a twelve inch clear red vinyl LP on Stinson of Blind Gary Davis with Sonny Terry. Its a 1963 reissue. Anyone know the recording date?...

I have that one. I'll have to check, but I believe it dates to the early to mid 50's. The echo was added later.

Re: John Cohen--here's a link (right to your backyard!):

http://www.downhomeradioshow.com/2008/12/the-new-lost-city-ramblers-50-years-interview-with-john-cohen-tom-paley/

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 06:08:28 AM »
...I am sitting here with a twelve inch clear red vinyl LP on Stinson of Blind Gary Davis with Sonny Terry. Its a 1963 reissue. Anyone know the recording date?...

I have that one. I'll have to check, but I believe it dates to the early to mid 50's. The echo was added later.

Re: John Cohen--here's a link (right to your backyard!):

http://www.downhomeradioshow.com/2008/12/the-new-lost-city-ramblers-50-years-interview-with-john-cohen-tom-paley/
\
Great! Thanks! I guess Yale was good for something after all.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

VSOP

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
Saw this book over the week-end and my eyes were popping out like Mr. O'Muck's avatar. The design/layout is simply brilliant and it made me start to "rediscover" Folkways all over again. (Not that I ever really "discovered" them...they were almost impossible to obtain in the South, thank God for mail order.) You gotta just love how Asch's albums had such an "official" and dignified look about them; the vibe and plain heft of those thick cardboard jackets intrinsically made you think you were not holding a mere album. And of course there's the superb David Stone Martin.

The entire catalog is available on CD now, but who would trade the experience of owning an original?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Yeah I saw it in the local good bookstore on Saturday, had to check back here that it was the same one before buying it. Not that there would be two books on that subject appearing at the same time, but, y'know...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal