collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pack your golf bag, you've had your fun. I've found another man who's made a hole-in-one. - Mamie Smith, Golfing Papa

Author Topic: Fats Domino  (Read 727 times)

Offline oddenda

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Fats Domino
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
The man who led me to blues music. I owe him a great debt of gratitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
...He even refused to leave New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina devastated the city on Aug. 29, 2005, remaining at his flooded home ? he was living in the Lower Ninth Ward then ? until he was rescued by helicopter on Sept. 1.

?I wasn?t too nervous? about waiting to be saved, he told The New York Times in 2006. ?I had my little wine and a couple of beers with me; I?m all right.?...

That's one for the quote generator. --Talk about poise in the face of danger.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/obituaries/fats-domino-89-one-of-rock-n-rolls-first-stars-is-dead.html

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »

?I wasn?t too nervous? about waiting to be saved, he told The New York Times in 2006. ?I had my little wine and a couple of beers with me; I?m all right.?...

That's one for the quote generator. --Talk about poise in the face of danger.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/obituaries/fats-domino-89-one-of-rock-n-rolls-first-stars-is-dead.html

Consider it added. I've been reading all the obits. I hate to admit it but since he hadn't recorded since the Sixties(?) it was total surprise to me that he was still alive and kicking until his recent passing. I can't imagine a musical world without Fats Domino. Blue Monday grew to be my personal favorite. While living in Austin for years it was the theme tune for my favorite radio show on KUT. Made us all feel so good to hear those opening bars.

RIP Fats.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:21:30 AM »

I never heard a Fats Domino record I didn't like.
  I can't say that about many artists

Even the, quirky, cover of "Lady Madonna" had an entertaining quality

Offline JRO

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »
It's sad that Fats passed away r.i.p. He was one of the first early r&r and r&b artists I learned to know as teenager in 1970's on my way to long lasting afroamerican music adveture. He made the saddest song sound hopeful and there aren't many with this talent.

Here are few clips from Fats European tour 1962 with Dave Bartolomew band (almost the same lineup as in his classic recordings and the one which Little Richard used in his Specialty recordings). Never belived I'd see alive clips in their prime. Man, they were good!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:07:32 AM by JRO »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
What can I say about "The Fat Man"? He, along with Skip James, inspired me to try my hand at piano (which I poorly play) and was a big part of my music growing up. You shall be missed, sir!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Tags: Fats Domino 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal