collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

White people have no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f--- do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? - George Carlin

Author Topic: The George Mitchell Collection Volumes 1 - 45  (Read 4751 times)

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
The George Mitchell Collection Volumes 1 - 45
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:58:04 AM »
Just got this in from Roots and Rhythm.  Seven CD's of filed recordings, some of it duplicates other Fat Possum or Arhoolie CDs.  Very nice booklet and some great photos.  Not pre-war but hey, as close as any of us ever got.  Great rarities here too like Cecil Barfield who also shows up in the Art Rosenbaum collection The Art of Field Recording.  A good overview of a wide range of musicians.

As I said, it just came in the mail, will be sinking deep into it over the next few days and will comment more later.  Here is waht Rhythm and Roots said about it:

VARIOUS ARTISTS     Fat Possum 1114     The George Mitchell Collection, Volumes 1-45     ● CD $39.98
Seven CDs, 174 tracks, essential
Fantastic seven CD set of country blues drawn from the field recordings made by George Mitchell in the Southern states between 1962 and the early 80s along with some live recordings made in Chicago. Fat Possum acquired the rights to this material several years ago and have issued a series of CDs which we have had a great response to. They also issued a series of 45 7" vinyl releases which we didn't list but they have now rounded up all 45 of those releases on 6 CDs and added a seventh CD of previously unissued material plus a 48 page book with extensive notes from Sam Sweet along with comments from Mitchell himself. Around a third of the tracks here duplicate material on the previously issued single CDs including sides from the totally amazing Cecil Barfield, Buddy Moss, Leon Pinson, Teddy WIlliams, George Henry Bussey, Joe Calicott and others. The rest was only available on vinyl though a few were on long out of print CDs or LPs on other labels and includes artists like Houston Stackhouse, Sleepy John Estes, Green Paschal (superb gospel) , William "Do Boy" Diamond (fantastic Mississippi bluesman), Bud White, James Shorter, Cliff Scott, Robert Johnson (no not that one, but a superb gospel singer and guitarist from Skene, Mississippi with vocal accompaniment by three of his daughters), Robert Longstreet (wonderful singer and harmonica player from Starkville, Mississippi), Abert Macon & Robert Thomas (superb Alabama duo), Como Fife & Drum Band, Eddie Harris, Robert Nighthawk (recorded a few months before his death), Jessie Lee Vortis, Willie Rockomo, Ira Tiny" Coney, etc. There isn't time or room to discuss these recordings at greater length. Suffice to say, in spite of the obscurity of most of these artists, the musical quality is very high indeed and it's sad that more of these artists didn't get more exposure at the time they were recorded and thereby could have capitalized on their talent. The booklet only discusses the artists on the first six discs so the ones on the "bonus" disc will have to be exciting mysteries for the time being. If you love country blues this is an indispensible release. (FS)
JOHN HENRY BARBEE: Gonna Lose Your Mind/ That Ain't It/ CECIL BARFIELD: I Told You Not To Do That/ I Woke Up Crying/ Love Blues/ Lucy Mae Blues/ PRECIOUS BRYANT: Georgia Buck (instrumental)/ That's The Way The Good Thing Go/ When The Saints Go Marching In/ JIM BUNKLEY: Jack Of Diamonds/ Old Red #2/ Rocking Chair/ Them Greasy Greens/ R.L. BURNSIDE: Goin' Down South/ Just Like A Bird Without A Feather/ Poor Black Mattie/ Skinny Woman/ GEORGE HENRY BUSSEY: Blues Around My Bed/ Looking For My Woman/ Mean Mistreater/ When I'm Sober/ JOE CALLICOTT: Country Blues/ River Blues/ COMO FIFE & DRUM BAND: Hey Freddie/ Late In The Evening/ Punky Tony/ Shimmy She Wa/ IRA "TINY" CONEY: I'm So Lonesome/ Mamie/ You're Gonna Miss Me/ DEWEY CORLEY & WALTER MILLER: Down To Arkansas/ Just A Dream I Got On My Mind/ Memphis Is A Wonderful City/ JAMES DAVIS: Instrumental #1/ Instrumental #4/ Old Country Rock #1/ Who Stole The Lock Off The Henhouse Door?/ MAXWELL STREET JIMMY DAVIS: Everything's Gonna Be Alright/ You Got To Reap What You Sow/ WILLIAM "DO-BOY" DIAMOND: Hard Time Blues/ Just Want To Talk To You/ ROBERT DIGGS: Done Lost My Health/ Driver Your Car/ Racehorse Charleston/ Someday Baby/ SLEEPY JOHN ESTES: Mail Man Blues/ Rats In The Kitchen/ Special Agent/ Trying To See/ GEORGIA FIFE & DRUM BAND: Buck Dance/ Everytime I Come Around/ J.w.'s Special/ Old Hen Cackle/ JESSIE CLARENCE GORMAN: Going Up To The Country #1/ Going Up To The Country #2/ John Henry/ BUD GRANT: Bud Grant's Grunt/ Freight Train Blues/ Rock Me Mama/ So Sweet/ EDDIE HARRIS: House On The Hill/ I Have To Love Somebody/ JIMMY LEE HARRIS: I Wanna Ramble/ Sitting Here Looking A 1000 Miles Away/ JESSIE MAE HEMPHILL: Home Going/ I Wanna Be Ready/ Interview/ ROSA LEE HILL: Bullying Well/ Count The Days I'm Gone/ Pork & Beans/ Roll & Tumble/ EDDIE HODGE: Blood Red River/ Glory Hallelujah/ Sitting On Top Of The World/ GEORGE HOLLIS: Rock And Roll To Milledgeville/ Them Greasy Greens #1/ BUDDY HUBBARD: I Got A Woman/ So Sweet/ ROBERT JOHNSON: He'll Make A Way/ Hold My Body Down/ Precious Lord/ Trying To Make It Home/ FURRY LEWIS: Furry Lewis' Careless Love/ Good Morning Judge/ ROBERT LONGSTREET: Black Gal/ Decoration Day/ Sloppy Drunk/ Sugar Mama/ ALBERT MACON & ROBERT THOMAS: Flat Foot Boogie/ How Can You Do It/ Mama Can I Lay It Down/ FRED MCDOWELL: Mama Says I'm Crazy/ Shake 'em On Down/ ABE MCNEIL: Better Than Myself/ Drink Drink Drink/ Steady Rollin' Man/ BUDDY MOSS: Amy/ Blue Shadow Falling/ Cold Rainy Day/ Hey Lawdy Mama/ In The Evening/ Thousand Woman Blues/ ROBERT NIGHTHAWK: Canned Heat/ Down By The Woodshed/ Nighthawk Boogie/ GREEN PASCHAL: I'm Going To Leave It In The Hands Of The Lord/ Lay My Burden Down/ Mother Is Dead/ My Lord/ Trouble Brought Me Down/ Your Close Friend/ THE PETTIS SISTERS: Bound For Zion/ Jesus Is Coming Back To Me/ LEON PINSON: He'll Understand And Say Well Done/ Hush' Somebody Is Calling My Name/ Motherless Child/ What God Can Do/ WILLIE ROCKOMO: Black Rat Swing/ CLIFF SCOTT: Long Wavy Hair/ Please Come Home/ Pole Pattin'/ Woke Up This Morning/ WILL SHADE: Dirty Dozens/ Wine Headed Man/ Won't You Send Me John/ K. C. Blues/ JAMES SHORTER: Consolation/ Home Coming/ My Mother Died And Left Me/ Search Me Lord/ HOUSTON STACKHOUSE: Big Fat Mama/ Big Road Blues/ Cool Water Blues/ Take A Little Walk With Me/ HOUSTON & SARA MAE STOVALL: Juke #2/ Sweet As An Apple On A Tree/ Tell Me You Love Me/ Woke Up This Morning/ You Told Me Baby/ LONZIE THOMAS: My Three Women/ Rabbit On A Log/ Raise A Ruckus Tonight/ Red Cross Store/ OTHAR TURNER: Black Woman/ Bumble Bee/ TOM TURNER: Drop Down Mama #1/ Old Breakdown/ BRUCE UPSHAW: Rosa Lee/ Someday Baby #1/ Wonder Why My Baby Treat Me So Bad/ Tease Me Baby #2/ JESSIE LEE VORTIS: Miss Maybelle/ When My Baby Got On Board/ J. W. WARREN: Hoboing To Hollywood/ Rabbit On A Log/ Sundown Blues/ You're Gonna Miss Me/ BUD WHITE: Go Ahead On/ White Horses/ You've Been Gone So Long/ BIG JOE WILLIAMS: Everyone Got A Woman/ Prison Bound/ Sink Or Swim/ What She Need With A Rooster/ JIMMY LEE WILLIAMS: Have You Seen Peaches/ What Makes Grandma Love Grandpa/ TEDDY WILLIAMS: Black Mattie/ Catfish Blues/ Down Home Blues/ Sun Don't Shine/ JOHNNY WOODS: 3 O'clock In The Morning/ I's Be Troubled/ JOHN LEE ZIEGLER: If I Lose Let Me Lose/ Who's Gonna Be Your Man

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
Re: The George Mitchell Collection Volumes 1 - 45
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »
Just a note that Georgia bluesman John Lee Ziegler recently passed away. Mitchell recorded him in 1978. I've posted a piece on Ziegler with some audio clips: http://sundayblues.org/

-Jeff H.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »
Thanks for that, Jeff. I'd never heard of John Lee Ziegler before. I haven't had a chance to listen to everything, but that version of John Henry called "Who's Gonna Be Your Man" is just wonderful. Talk about liquid slide playing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:58:01 PM by andrew »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 07:26:05 PM »
Everybody -

If you don't have this collection, you have a hole in your soul! George Mitchell is one of the foremost unsung field recordists out there. He quietly went about his pursuit of older musicians for decades on end, not with commercial eyes, but to grasp it before it disappeared. (I know what that's like!) As a Southerner he was able to understand better than those from out of the area what was appropriate behavior to put folks at ease... he was less a stranger to them than I, or Bastin, for instances. He did incredible work over the decades off his own bat and preserved some important cultural artifacts with his tape recorder and camera. Run, don't walk, if you do not yet have this box... you will NOT regret it.

yrs,
     Peter B.

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »
I was looking for some tunings and came across discussions about this set. I was on "hiatus" when it came out so today is my first look. I have some of the other George Mitchell collections and found them to be good quality recordings.
Is it still a good investment?
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
Is it still a good investment?

Hi  Gary:

Definitely, IMHO. I also have the earlier LPs and Blow My Blues Away, so I'm a bit biased.

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
One of the most interesting, satisfying, groovalicious and essential collections out there, IMO. Ridiculously good. Last I looked, physical copies were getting harder to locate. Anyone confirm?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
UB used up all the adjectives except for "indispensable".

Also check out the weeniepedia entries that focus on this collection, Johnm lead the charge:

http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_George_Mitchell_Collection_Keys_and_Positions
and
http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_George_Mitchell_Collection,_Volumes_1-45_-_Sortable_Track_Listing

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »
Ridiculously good. Last I looked, physical copies were getting harder to locate. Anyone confirm?

Looks like it's still available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/George-Mitchell-Collection/dp/B0015D3YZO

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
Picked up a copy from Amazon took about 3 days.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal