collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas - John Goodenough, a 94-year-old professor at the University of Texas at Austin

Author Topic: Watered Down Bob  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Watered Down Bob
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:48:51 AM »
Over the holidays I've been inspired by all the recent BBQ Bob postings to go out and buy myself a set of these special barbecue strings (as recommended by Frankie): I'd hoped : "Put on strings, add water = BBQ Bob"; but what I got was  watered down Bob instead. Still, as this is probably as good as it's going to get (especially the falsetto bit at the end, for which I had to capo my trousers), I'll post it and see what folks think.....??
Prof Scratchy

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
Re: Watered Down Bob
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 11:28:59 AM »
Watered down ??? Only as much as it needed to be to make it sweet and smooth.

Nice going Prof. Keep it up - this is really good stuff.

Steve.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:30:56 AM »
Very cool PF!, the falsseto sounds good too - you pick up some good momentum towards the end!

ragtime_uk

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »
Nice one Prof! It sounds really loud, loose and lonesome.  Wish I could sing like that.

Dave

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 12:46:53 PM »
I love it.? I don't know enough of the subtelties of BBQB to know how precisely well you captured them, but still sounds good.? One day I'm really going to have to go that direction too.? So many styles, so little time (and not enough guitars? ?:D).

Also, I think you may win the prize for "closest to 800 KB without going over"!

tom
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 01:14:36 AM by waxwing »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
...which is why it picked up momentum towards the end!! Thanks for the kind comments...
Prof S

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 01:20:12 PM »
Yeah, boy! Now I wouldn't call that sweet and smooth. How 'bout down and dirty. Kickin' ass. Like Slack says, you really get goin' there. Perfect vocal quality, too. Thanks for postin' Scratchy. Man, after I get a few more McTell tunes worked up I gonna string up Barbecue Bob style and work some of this. I guess we all owe Pat Conte a big thanks for workin' out the string arrangement.
...which is why it picked up momentum towards the end!! Thanks for the kind comments...
Just like cuttin' a 78!
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:00:04 AM »
Sounds good to me, Professor Scratchy - very nice!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »
Really a nice job, Scratchy.  I especially like the big right hand there--you are moving a lot of air.  It's really fun to blast some times, isn't it?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 10:58:11 AM »
It certainly is good to blast, John - even when you're balancing RR Macleod's Document Blues Lyrics Vol.1 on your knee whilst trying to  peek over the body of a big 12 string guitar  and get your bifocals to point at the right area of print. Ah the glamour of it all! Bet BBQ Bob didn't have these problems...

Offline Blind Rev. Grapefruit Peter

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:19:26 AM »
Hi

I'm recently new here and have been exploring the radio station a lot since discovery of this place. But also this forum, which I think is nice.

I think it's a nice recording you've made, with a good feeling and good vocal. But I don't understand what you're hinting at, when you're talking bbq strings.What's special about them?

regards
peter

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 11:21:21 AM »
Bet BBQ Bob didn't have these problems...

No, but then he was dead at 29, a considerably bigger problem.  :P

Nice job again, Perfesser.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 01:21:56 PM »
Hey Peter,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell. Check out this Barbeque Bob Thread in which Frankie gives the string arrangement he picked up from Pat Conte. Basically unisons on the top four strings and only singles on the two bass strings. Some of us have been tryin' it out (actually, I'm still deep in McTell, which I'll hopefully be able to post soon) and as you can hear from Scratchy's post, it really does get that sound. eh?
If you're into 12 strings, or whatever your into, country blues wise, folks, I encourage you to dig deep into the various boards as there are a lot of really great discussions that have gone down over the years here.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 01:23:24 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 01:31:17 PM »
Howdy:

Even though it's off topic, I strongly second Barbeque John's suggestion. There are lots of great discussions, many of which are still unresolved. Lyrics discussions left unfinished could really use some fresh ears.

There's lots of good stuff. I receommend to you all to go back and read old treads (more than a year old in some cases) and put your 2 cents worth in.

Searchin' Weenie for the Blues,
Alex

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 01:34:16 PM »
Just a wee note on the barbecue strings - I cheated and strung the fifth and sixth courses as double unisons too!! As we say around these parts - ye cannae waste strings, laddie!!
Basically unisons on the top four strings and only singles on the two bass strings.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal