collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It costs too much to live, but I guess I'd better try. The undertaker's got a union, and it costs too much to die - Anon., The High Cost of Livin'

Author Topic: a gig  (Read 1919 times)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
a gig
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »
Hi all,

A month or so ago I got a call from an acquaintance asking me to be part of a show her vocal group was putting on.  It seem she is a member of a women's barbershop chorus of about 25 women that perform and compete.  The chorus qualified for an international competition in Florida that is being held later this year, and they decided to have the theme of their annual fund-raising concert be 'Songs of the South', and be a journey from Vermont (where we live) to New Orleans.  They wanted to have someone be a New Orleans street singer and sing some blues.  How they got my name I have no idea, as I perform rarely, but they did, so I said yes, as long as they would sing a song with me.  The song I had in mind was 'How Happy I Am' by Rev. Davis.  I have always wanted to perform this with a chorus.  Well the show was last Saturday and went great.  I got to sing more than the two tunes I planned on as one group had to cancel.  I played 'Mississippi Blues', 'Fishin Blues', and 'Travelin' Man' as well.  It went great, and the sound was wonderful.  I did feel a little out of place, as what I do is so different than what they do, but it went well, and people were entertained.  Actually many of the songs that the chorus and smaller groups sang were from the same era as my tunes, and shared some of the same raggy progressions.

I know that on this forum there are a many musicians who perform a lot, so one gig might not seem like so much, but this was a great event for me, and I wanted to share it.  I am sooooo grateful for the opportunity to share this music with others, and anytime I can get Rev. Davis' music out in public, I feel part of my purpose in life is fulfilled.

Mike

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: a gig
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:00:32 AM »
That's fantastic!

You don't get to play this type of music with a full chorus every day! I envy you! :D

Cheers

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »
Very cool Mike!  Performing in public is a big deal-- congratulations!  And what a novel way for a 25 member Babrshop group to give perspective to the music they are sining!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
Congrats Mike! Sounds like a blast.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:05:18 PM »
It is particularly cool to turn other musicians on to this music. It is much more likely to inform their own music and can often inspire them to get involved in playing the old blues themselves.

Congrats!

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline book

• Robert & The Book
    • www.roybookbinder.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
Hey, Congrats to you, sounds like you had a ball!  It is always a thrill to have what you love, bring joy to others......That's why I do it!
Have a great vacation, Your Pal, The Book
Roy BB

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal