collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When the rooster saw the eggs and they was red, he walked across the road and knocked the peacock dead - Blind Blake, Low Down Lovin Gal

Author Topic: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service  (Read 963 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« on: October 13, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
Hi all,
I just discovered that Smithsonian Folkways is now offering a subscription service called 'Friends of Folkways'. For a donation of $5 a month, or more, you are now able to stream entire Folkways albums as well as albums from subsidiary labels Arhoolie, Folk-Legacy, Paredon, and others. The money, of course, also goes to support the broader cause of carrying on and extending the legacy of the Folkways catalog and mission.

It took me a minute to understand the process, but you basically just set up an account on the Folkways site, then purchase a donation subscription amount. Once that's done you can search the site for an album or artist, click on the album and then hit the 'Play Album' button, at that point a streaming element opens at the bottom of the page.

While they've had the ability to play single songs from albums for awhile now, this new streaming feature is a welcome addition. I've now got a set of tabs in my phone browser set up to save my favorites as I explore the back catalog more. And, of course, I'm dreaming of a day when Folkways is able to create an app dedicated to streaming the catalog, but for now this is the next best thing.

Get more info here:
https://folkways.si.edu/friends-of-folkways

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 10:45:20 AM »
Thanks, Tenbrook. Looks like a bargain.
I've moved your post over to the "Phonograph Blues" board.

Offline sofingraw

• Howdy!
    • South Florida Country Blues Guitar
Re: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 10:18:45 AM »
Just signed up. Thank you! Very cool resource!

Tags: FolkwaysRecords 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal