collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's funny just how hard a man can fall, when he get to thinking one woman has got it all - Blind Arthur Blake, Chump Man Blues

Author Topic: William Moore Discography  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
William Moore Discography
« on: December 30, 2006, 08:17:54 AM »
looked what I could find out about William Moore and put it all together in a little William Moore discography
Questions arising:
- Where's the original picture Robert Crumb made his 'card' from published?
- Any WM covers known other than those I already unearthed ?
- Anyone owning the Northwest Folklife Festival (Baby Gramps doing 'Ragtime Millionaire') album and/or cassette for a pic of the resp. covers?
Stefan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 10:32:53 AM by Stefan Wirz »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: William Moore Discography
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »
Stefan:

Here's a link to a newspaper story from about a year ago:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=119386&Disp=5&Trace=on

and a couple of others:

http://www.mppdc.com/historical/PagesMarkers/WilliamMoore.shtml

http://www.rroysters.com/billmoore.htm

(This is probably somewhere in the WC archives.)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »
looked what I could find out about William Moore and put it all together in a little William Moore discography
Questions arising:
- Where's the original picture Robert Crumb made his 'card' from published?
A similar question was asked at the time (1980) when reviewed in a magazine, the reviewer noting that as far as was known no photo had been published and surmised must have been in the possession of Yazoo and their associates.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
Stuart, that was great reading - I only wonder why those links you added won't appear on the first google page (or am I too tired from not sleeping at all ;-)
and, btw, the photo shown on those oyster pages definively isn't the one Crumb took for his 'card' !
Stefan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 10:45:52 AM »
I think Crumb just imagined a hat on this 3/4 view photo of William. Check out the posture, smile, angle of shoulders, cheekbones, glasses, viewpoint angle slightly up:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 10:53:30 AM by Rivers »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »
Hi Stefan,
There are two covers of William Moore tunes that I can think of that I did not see you in your discography of his music:
   * Dave Ray did "Old Country Rock" on his first Elektra solo album, which may have been called "Fine Soft Land".  I don't think I have seen the album in 35 years
   * Michael Stewart did "One Way Gal" on his Adelphi album, "Backwards Sam Firk", with second guitar and vocal by Tom "Fang" Hoskins, the rediscoverer of John Hurt.  The album is currently available in England in a CD format, licensed to Michael Roach's Stella label.

Incidentally, the question you asked about where R. Crumb got the photo he used for his painting of William Moore was a question I had, as well, and have about a few other Country Blues artists he painted.  I will have to check the book to remind myself which artists I had never seen photos of.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm sure Stefan knows this, but just to set the record straight, the title of Dave Ray's first LP was "Snaker's Here!".  It does indeed have "Old Country Rock" on it.  A bit of trivia:  This and Spider John Koerner's "Spider Blues" were both recorded at sessions for an intended Koerner, Ray, and Glover LP, but the results were issued as two solo LPs.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 08:29:47 AM »
Stefan:

I'm glad that you found the links interesting. I don't know why they wouldn't pop up with a simple Google search. I had them saved in my IE "Favorites" list. Here's another:

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/homepage_features/info_on_william_moore.htm

Its nice to know that one of our guys is considered to be historically significant by the Virginia Dept. of Historical Resources.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 11:36:12 AM »
Stuart, thanks again - meanwhile gave credit to your help on my page (if you don't mind ;-)

Johnm and dj, had those LPs on their resp. discographies (Adelphi and KRG), thanks for the reminder !

Rivers, a guy who imagines reptile women surely is able to imagine a hat; I only had doubts because on all (have not checked that) other cards he seems to stay close to the photographic model, isn't he ?

Meanwhile I found a few other cover versions (googling for 'Old Country Rock')

Stefan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »
HeHe! Yes Stefan, a hat is not a big stretch for Crumb's imagination. My speculation of course but perhaps he thought Bill Moore looked a bit straight in that photo and decided to jazz him up with a blues hat. The smile and lines on the face are very, very close IMHO

You are correct though, every other card in the set is faithful, within a cartoon context, to an original photograph I've seen at some point. Anyone have Crumb's phone number? This is important information, we have a right to know!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:21:15 PM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal