collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...and next up is Lovestick Steve... [and the crowd roars] - Thomas Corlett, Port Townsend 96, emcee at participants concert

Author Topic: The death of Bessie Smith - eyewitness account  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Chris A

The death of Bessie Smith - eyewitness account
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
PLEASE NOTE: The audio file that originally accompanied this post was the wrong one. Instead of hearing Dr. Smith's account of this tragic event, you heard an interview with Ornette Coleman! I apologise and have now made the correction. CA

If you have read my biography of Bessie Smith, you may recall the chapter in which I quote extensively from Dr. Hugh Smith's eyewitness account. Well, here, published for the first time, is the actual recording of that account. It gives more details than I included in the book, and it has a surprise ending.

Here is a direct link: http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2010/10/death-of-bessie-smith.html

Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:55:22 AM by Chris A »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: The death of Bessie Smith - eyewitness account
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
Hi Chris - Boy, you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of this guy if he was a witness in a trial. Talk about a detail-oriented man. I found the recordings of Dr. Smith fascinating to listen to. I can imagine you must have been pretty pleased when you first received those tapes. Thanks for sharing them.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
Boy, you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of this guy if he was a witness in a trial. Talk about a detail-oriented man.
You can say that again. I await the next interview with bated breath.  Jack Gee Jr maybe?  :)

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »
Great! Thanks for posting!

Tags: Bessie Smith 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal