collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Gee, I'm always hungry, can't get enough to eat. I'm just like a savage, I could eat a barrel of meat - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: Blues Biographies In Progress?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Blues Biographies In Progress?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:03:01 AM »
I don't know what's happened to the Lightnin' biography I mentioned but if you go to this interview with Alan Govenar http://musictomes.blogspot.com/2008/12/interview-with-alan-govenar.html and scroll nearly to the end you'll see that he's about to publish one. I'm reliably informed that AG's been working on it for 25+ years and given the depth and breath of his previous Texas books it should be a good 'un!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Back in February 2009 I wrote
Blues biographies in progress but yet to be published.

Big Bill Broonzy ? Robert Riesman 2000
Lonnie Johnson ? Dean Alger 2004
Mississippi John Hurt ? Phil Ratcliffe 2005
Son House ? Dan Beaumont 2006
The Broonzy, House and Hurt are all but upon us. It would be nice to think that the Lonnie J wasn't too far behind.  :)

Online jostber

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »
Back in February 2009 I wrote
Blues biographies in progress but yet to be published.

Big Bill Broonzy ? Robert Riesman 2000
Lonnie Johnson ? Dean Alger 2004
Mississippi John Hurt ? Phil Ratcliffe 2005
Son House ? Dan Beaumont 2006
The Broonzy, House and Hurt are all but upon us. It would be nice to think that the Lonnie J wasn't too far behind.  :)

All great news, will be much good reading this summer. More on the Lonnie Johnson book:

http://www.deanalger.com/Pages/Music.htm
http://sundayblues.org/archives/952

Offline wreid75

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
anyone know of any new blues biographies that are in progress?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
The Lonnie J was published in US beginning of month. In UK next week. (Dean Alger)
Two Gary Davis biogs due towards end of the year. (Ian Zack/Bill Ellis)
Pioneers of the Blues due July to coincide with Chicago Blues Fest (Steve Cushing)
Memphis Minnie - completely revised and updated due May/June (Paul & Beth Garon)
Big Mama Thornton biography by Michael Sp?rke due next month.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
Anyone know when the new Charley Patton Book is coming out?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
Pioneers of the Blues Revival

Eyewitness accounts of the blues' evolution into a global music phenomenon

Steve Cushing, the award-winning host of the nationally syndicated public radio staple Blues before Sunrise, has spent over thirty years observing and participating in the Chicago blues scene. In Pioneers of the Blues Revival, he interviews many of the prominent white researchers and enthusiasts whose advocacy spearheaded the blues' crossover into the mainstream starting in the 1960s.

Opinionated and territorial, the American, British, and French interviewees provide fascinating first-hand accounts of the era and movement. Experts including Paul Oliver, Gayle Dean Wardlow, Sam Charters, Ray Flerlage, Richard K. Spottswood, and Pete Whelan chronicle in their own words their obsessive early efforts at cataloging blues recordings and retrace lifetimes spent loving, finding, collecting, reissuing, and producing records. They and nearly a dozen others recount relationships with blues musicians, including the discoveries of prewar bluesmen Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Skip James, and Bukka White, and the reintroduction of these musicians and many others to new generations of listeners. The accounts describe fieldwork in the South, renew lively debates, and tell of rehearsals in Muddy Waters's basement and randomly finding Lightning Hopkins's guitar in a pawn shop.

Blues scholar Barry Lee Pearson provides a critical and historical framework for the interviews in an introduction.

Pioneers of the Blues Revival is one I hadn't heard of.  It sounds interesting.  The University of Illinois website lists the hardcover for $75 - I sure hope it comes out in paperback!

Thanks for the list, Bunker Hill.  I'm glad you keep track of this stuff.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
Anyone know when the new Charley Patton Book is coming out?
It was August last year that Yuval Taylor, Senior Editor of Chicago Review Press, informed the PWB that he was publishing a biography of Fahey and canvassed opinions on the original blues paperback.  Nothing listed on their website.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal