collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Blues" music was created to chase away gloom... The Happy-go-lucky songs of the Southern Negro we call "Blues" - W. C. Handy, 1919. "The Father of the Blues" points out that you've got to be happy if you want to sing the Blues. Quoted by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff in "They Cert'ly Sound Good To Me: Sheet Music, Southern Vaudeville, And The Commercial Ascendancy Of The Blues" in Ramblin' On My Mind, David Evans, ed

Author Topic: Ari Eisinger at the Stamford Guitar Festival  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Wailing Wolf

• Howdy!
Re: Ari Eisinger at the Stamford Guitar Festival
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »
OK, looks like time for more lowdown on Ari.? He arrived equipped with his Gibson 6-string, I believe it's a cherry sunburst LG-1, which can be checked out on his Blind Lemon video, I understand it's the same guitar.? From the handouts given out by Ari the main workshop content was [1] Blind Blake Right Hand Pattern in C [2] Early Morning Blues (in C) [3] Baby Lou Blues (in C) [4] Double-Time from Hard Road Blues (in G).

The guitar "issues" on the guitar purchased on site really weren't a problem,? Ari took the string popping and re-tuning thoroughly in his stride.? I've surfed some Harmony sites to try and locate a picture of the beast but without success.? The guitar was an unusual one, if I remember correctly arch-topped with round soundhole and metal tailpiece.? The finish was dark and featured a distinctive lighter X design like a St. Andrews cross centred on the soundhole.? This guitar was used as the mainstay of the Sunday evening set with the LG-1 on standby for the C- tuning rendition of "Jesus Gonna Make Up My Dying Bed".

A splendid time was had by all.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Ari Eisinger at the Stamford Guitar Festival
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 10:30:37 AM »
Since getting back from Stamford I've been revisiting my Blake collection in most spare moments. I've concluded that Ari plays Blake better than Blake. For years I've thought that the first thing I'll do when they invent the time machine is to travel back to a Blake recording session and see how he did it. Now I've seen how he did it - but I still can't do it! I now want the time machine to fast-forward me to the time of the appearance of Ari's Blake video. Hopefully not too long now? I agree that Ari did a superb job with the new, old, Harmony (It's the painted art deco parlour size model with tailpiece that you sometimes get to see on eBay). It has that great ladder braced sound. Ari said that just prior to coming onstage it had been pointed out to him that the bridge had moved to a jaunty angle and needed to be hastily returned to a playing position. The guitar builders out there will probably be able to diagnose? What that says me (taken together with the string popping) is that there's not enough string tension on the bridge, either because the guitar's top has dropped, or because somebody has shaved the bridge right down to achieve a comfortable action when the neck has moved. Still sounded great in Ari's hands, and he really worked it into the act, extracting maximum wry, dry humour, and finally offering to give the guitar away to anyone who wanted it! Wonder if he did? With  some work, the guitar should be a killer, and it certainly looks amazing. All in all, performances and workshops I'll remember for a long, long time.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal