collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You just got to have a lot of publicity 'cause otherwise the police will put you in jail. Just don't give up - Blind Arvella Gray

Author Topic: Medley of Hooker, Bo Carter and Rev Gary Davis on parlor guitar  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Jay Bee Rodriguez

• Sólo Blues
I did some medley of "Boogie Chillum", "Baby, I Want You To Know", and "Candy Man" to try my new parlor guitar, a Harley Benton HBF-200 NT:

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Medley of Hooker, Bo Carter and Rev Gary Davis on parlor guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
Sounds and looks like an excellent guitar value. The specs. I read said solid rosewood back & sides with solid spruce top and inlays up the wazoo for around $270.00?
That would make it a must see for any bargain conscious guitar hunter. I don't know how they can bring it in for that price if the back and sides are truly solid wood...but I'm not complaining mind you.

The Blues as one kind of music among many, mix and match, is not the best way to get to the heart and meaning of these songs imo. But keep at it.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
less than ?200 from thomann.de ...

O dear my brain has started ticking ....  :P

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »
Well Toby its like this, you CAN write a new cadenza for the Beethoven Violin concerto, as in its possible, like its been done before and such, but you wouldn't just walk over to a bunch of sheet music that had blown randomly off a table onto the floor, pick one up titled say " Cantonese Fish Peddler's Hawking Melody" and insert it in the score. Dig? Or I suppose one could..... after all Jazz and certain avant Garde pieces are full of such deliberate incongruities, Charles Ives did it well, but for this music its a little like putting a bunch of really big hats on a beautiful naked woman all at the same time.....maybe, maybe not , do what ya' want,  wtf do I care anyway..just one "purist's" opinion. Purist can be employed as a compliment too after all....and what's it's opposite an Impurest? Is that what we're dealing with here ? The rise of the impurists?  

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:52:24 AM »
Hey, I like the classical stuff going on with the Hooker boogie.  I mean, I wouldn't play it that way, but what the heck...  I did promise as a boy scout to be "brave, clean, and irreverent".  It kind of reminds me of being in my bedroom in 1968 listening to Ars Nova, Kaleidescope, and Renaissance (the first version of the band, with Keith Relf and Jim McCarty from the Yardbirds).  None of those experimental classical/rock/blues things was really successful, but it was fun to listen to them trying things.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
I'm all for irreverence in most instances,but as Chuck Berry put it so much more eloquently than I ever could:
"I got no kick against Modern Jazz,
Unless they try to play it too darn fast,
and destroy the beauty of the melody,
Until it sounds just like a symphony"

Not exactly transferable , but speaks to maintaining a certain musical coherence thats integral to the identity of the music.

Offline Jay Bee Rodriguez

• Sólo Blues
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »
Thanks to everybody for the opinions.
On the Hooker-Classical connection, I must say that I just love Mr Hooker's records, but I'm mostly boring with classical music (except some stuff by the "other" great obsessive one, J.S. Bach!). But there are "some very pretty melodies" over there though.

By the way, just in case somebody don't like this kind of mixtures, I've got some others:

- A Professor Longhair's blues with "What A Difference A Day Makes" and "Cheek to Cheek":

and
- A famous Sonny Rollins' blues melody "inside" a Lightnin' Hopkins' boogie:

Meanwhile, with all due respect to Chuck Berry, I think I'll keep on tryin' Bessie's melodies on slide guitar and Satchmo's melodies on the amplified blues-harp:
http://www.youtube.com/user/OtisSpain

;)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal